Twenty Nine - "You like her."

Chapter Twenty Nine

Pia's POV

Mom and Dad left the Stavrakos mansion, Mom looked very overwhelmed and ecstatic having entered the estated, while Dad was so upset and disappointed.

"That man is still as cruel as he was when he was a teenager. He will never change! I know what he wants, and that is to take you in his bed!" Dad exclaimed when we were all in the visitor's parking area.

Mom gasped so loud, "oh Luis... are you sure about that?"

"Of course! I'm a man, and I know how one looks at the woman he wants."

"You're reading too much of his expression dad, he's always like that..." I answered.

"You're too innocent, Pia. You shouldn't have come here," Dad started to scold me, "I'm so disappointed in you. I always keep you out of the Stavrakos gatherings, because I'm afraid of you meeting Kristov Stavrakos again."

"Again?" my ears perked up, wondering what my dad said, "what do you mean by that?"

"Nevermind. It's not that important."

"Dad! Tell me. I won't be able to sleep tonight, wondering what it is?" I stopped him from entering the car.

"Fine," he turned to me, "remember that day we brought you to the Stavrakos gathering? It was here, in this estate."

"Yeah, I know that now. I saw the garden where I fell asleep."

His eyes turned to maddening anger, "he was watching you while you were sleeping. That creepy bastard was sneaking behind the tree, like a peeping Tom."

"He was there?" That knowledge really surprised me, "so, he knew me before then. Do you think he knew my name was Pia Rosi?"

"Of course! I've been calling your name, and he remembered it. I found out a week after that incident, that he asked someone from HR, who among the guests at that time had a daughter named Pia. Being the owner's son, the manager gave him all the information he needed."

"Seriously? That is so hard to believe. I'm sure you're imagining things," I brushed off Dad's ridiculous notion.

"You must be very careful, Pia, that man is dangerous. The way he looked at you before, that's the same way he was looking at you earlier. That bastard wants you!"

I saw Mom roll her eyes, "that happened in the past, Luis. Kristov Stavrakos was a teenager and smittened at our Pia. Who wouldn't? She's as pretty as I was when I was younger."

"Stop contradicting me, Divine! This is not the right time," Dad scolded Mom.

"For heaven's sake. He's a changed man! We should be flattered that someone like him, who's extremely rich, powerful, brilliant, and devastatingly gorgeous, likes our daughter. We would have pretty grandchildren."

"I want her to marry a simple man. Someone the same as me. Someone like Ja..." He eyed me, and then stopped, as he remembered the pain, frustration and regret.

Someone like Jacob. He would say.

Yeah. He was still as hung up as I was with Jacob. The guy, too good to be true, vanished in our lives and moved on to his ex-girlfriend.

"It's been a long day for both of you, you should go now. I'll see you on the weekend," I said to them, giving them hugs and kisses after we bid goodbye.

I tossed and rolled on bed, could not sleep thinking about what happened earlier.

At first, I was a bit disappointed that Kristov never helped me by just playing along. He should have just kept quiet. But later I realized, he did just right. I felt so much freedom now that the truth was out. I had nothing to hide anymore.

About the contract, Kristov was determined as ever not to let me go till it would end. We discussed that after he found out about my disguise, and I had no reason to bring it up to him anymore.

Besides, life in the mansion is a good experience. I got to enjoy my life, with the place, scenery and people around me. I had the freedom– especially from my parents, who always wanted to be involved in everything that I do. Dad was determined to run my life, and mom was so nosy.

"Am I ready to leave?" I heaved a deep sigh, "definitely not."

Kristov's POV

Early morning the following day, Luis Rosi came to my office asking me to release Pia.

"She's not in prison, Mr. Rosi. In fact, she's well fed, treated well, and enjoying her job. One more month, then she can leave. Just be patient." I assured him, but he was not convinced.

"One month is like an eternity for me as her father," he answered calmly, but I knew he was only holding his anger, "I don't want to put my daughter into... into danger."

Danger. The word snapped a nerve.

"Do you think having her in my home puts her into danger?"

"Yes," he nodded, "I apologize for being brutally honest. A house surrounded by a security team, high-voltage wires, guns and weapons... I don't consider it safe."

"Thank you for reminding me of my horrible life. I hated it too, but I had no choice," I answered curtly.

"I didn't mean to offend you, sir. Of course, you need them for your safety," he softened his voice, "I just don't want to expose my daughter to those things. She's a simple girl, who dreams of a simple life. That's what she wants."

"Really? Or is that what you want for her, Mr. Rosi."

"It's what our family wants. To have a simple, uncomplicated, and happy life," he paused, "I don't want her near this luxurious lifestyle... near this worldly environment... near..."

"ME." I said firmly.

His eyes grew big, like bullets aiming at me.

Silence ringing inside my office.

"That's the whole point of this conversation, am I correct?" I rose from my seat, and stood in the middle of the room, "you're afraid of Pia to be near me."

""You like her."

"And I never stopped," I said honestly.

"Dang it!" he muttered. Hate beamed from his eyes like hit and run headlights.

"I listened to your warning, Mr. Rosi. I stayed away from her," I faced him squarely, "I'm not supposed to come back here in New York too soon, but she came to me on a golden platter. It was a chance I would not miss."