Nine - "Oh no! Did he see me?"

Chapter Nine

Kristov's POV

"That woman has a sharp tongue," I complained to Jack about Miss Rosi, when we were alone in the elevator, heading to my office, "she's not even afraid to voice out her opinion."

"I'm surprised you haven't fired her yet," he turned to me briefly, "she mistook you for a driver, took your book, and broke the digital passcode lock. And it all happened in one day."

"I'm surprised about it either," I raised an eyebrow at him, "I have little patience for reckless employees, but her... I find her actions very amusing."

"Well, you had a funny way of showing your amusement. You threw a forty-five year old woman into the pool."

"Do you believe she's forty five?"

"Well, I haven't seen her face clearly in person, do you want me to do a background investigation?"

"No, there's no need. She's the sister of our finance officer, she can be trusted."

I arrived in my office, and settled on my seat. It did not take two minutes when my father, Pablo Stavrakos, entered my office. At sixty two, he still looked younger than his age. Hair always dyed in black and his dark suit, crisp without creases.

"I'm glad you're back, my son," he strode inside, then settled in an armchair across my desk, "but I admit I was disappointed. You focused on that AR-VR project way too much, than our other businesses."

"I don't need to be physically present to run a business, dad. I know my obligations and I can work wherever I am, using technology," I answered, leaning my elbows on the table, and clasping my hands together.

"Of course you do."

"The AR-VR project is now ready for beta testing. We're done with the crucial part, so I don't need to be there. Our software engineers can take care of any minor issues."

"I'm glad to hear that. I know it's going to be another success. You will make a name in history, by changing the future with your innovations," he said proudly, "you never failed me son."

You never failed me, son. The words rang in my ears.

Son. My son. He never addressed me by my name. Never. Sometimes I wonder if he was referring to me, or to his other son.

I remember clearly that snowy night, it happened nine years ago. I was sitting at the back of the ambulance, a medic took care of my wounds.

Dad arrived at the accident scene, looking so frantic. It felt like everything was in slow motion, like watching a horror movie. But it was not, it was so real.

He cried so hard, as he saw the burned bodies of my mother and older brother, Anton.

The words that came out from my father's mouth marked in my brain.

"Why does it have to be you, Anton! Why not your useless, idiotic, rebellious brother!"

Either, he thought I never heard, or he pretended he never said it.

It hurt like hell. Your own father wishing that you died instead of your worthy and responsible brother.

Anton, my older brother, was always the perfect one. Dad's favorite and pride to his friends. He grew up meeting all the expectations my father had to run the business. A constant achiever in school, articulate in speaking, overly confident, good interpersonal skills and focus on business. He had all it takes to be the next heir of the Stavrakos businesses and fortune.

While I was my mother's favorite. I love anything about art. I was slow in school and did not care about the business. Everytime dad saw me, he scolded me and questioned my existence in the family. Hurtful words that could ruin a child's sanity. I became delinquent, rebellious and a pain in the ass. I enjoyed provoking my father. At least, he noticed me.