Ten - "So, I've been here before?"

Chapter Ten

Pia's POV

My day started with taking a shower then dressing up in my disguise. At six in the morning, the dining hall opens, and I would have a hearty breakfast.

I followed Calliope's routine, to check the staff's work schedules during breakfast. To listen to their concerns and address them.

"We should start cleaning in the living room, it's more convenient for us to start from the inside rather than the other way around," Debbie, one of the cleaners suggested. She always had a way to contradict Calliope's instructions and decisions.

"The master walks in the living room in the morning, so we have to wait until he leaves the mansion," Calliope answered in a very calm voice.

"We would be finished by the time he wakes up," Debbie insisted, "If I'm in charge here, I would go for the convenience of everyone."

"Too bad, you're not in charge here," Calliope snapped at her.

"I should be the one to replace you, not her" Debbie pointed at me, then glared angrily at Calliope, "you're such a selfish bitch! You hired a new overseer instead of picking me. I'm the most qualified here. I have the highest education and I've been here for too long."

"Did you just call me a bitch?" Calliope's eyes bulged, her temper flared up.

Oh gosh. They spent about five minutes arguing. They only stopped when Hector came between them.

Mr. Stavrakos left early for work, so I could clean his bedroom. It was my first time to clean his area, Calliope did in the past two days.

Bringing along the vacuum cleaner and a cart of fresh linens, containers filled with cleaning bottles, rags, brushes and sponges, air freshener and others, I entered his room.

I could smell his scent inside the room. That distinct cologne and masculine scent that still lingered in my nostrils since he carried me on the balcony and dropped me into the giant pool.

"What a bastard," I gritted my teeth. I could not help but curse, whenever I remember it. I could have died! Good thing I know how to swim, I did not need rescue from Hector and Calliope.

I changed the linens on his bed, vacuumed the carpet, wiped every counter, table, and corner of the room, leaving everything spotless for the savage beast. If not for aunt Jodie, I would have run off after the incident yesterday.

Next was his walk-in closet. All clothes inside the glass cabinets, counters and closets were very neat and in order. I did not have to touch or fix anything. I just had to clean the floor, the table and walls.

First thing I did was took his dirty clothes hanging on a chair. Navy blue jacket, shirt and sweatpants that he wore when I saw him jog this morning.

Darn it. The thought gave me anxiety already.

"I wish you never saw the real me," I said, talking to his jacket, "or if you did, I wish you have poor eyesight like Hector."

I dropped his clothes inside a hamper, then picked the same suit he wore yesterday when he carried me.

The thought of it made me so furious. Of him, and of myself too. When he picked me up, I was so shocked, and at the same time, felt this sudden physical awareness of him. I felt drugged by his clean and manly scent... my heart is hammering foolishly.

Stop it, Pia. I wrenched myself away from the ridiculous notion. No, I was just imagining everything. I could never ever feel any attraction for that savage beast.