Chapter Six: The Woman In White

Lily's P.O.V.

After showering Dean and I leave the motel room.

"Are you sure you don't want to come Sam?" I ask before leaving.

"No, I'm fine Lily." He says, smiling.

"Okay then." I shut the door softly and follow dean into the parking lot. We look over and see a police car, and the motel clerk is talking to Deputy Jaffe and Deputy Hein. The clerk points at Dean and I.

"That fucking douche." I grumble and force Dean to turn around. "Call Sam and warn him." I whisper. Dean turns around and pulls out his cell phone.

Sam's P.O.V.

Once Lily and Dean leave I pull the scrapbook from Lily's bedroom out and flip through the pictures once again.

'What the hell could this be?' The black shadow is only around Lily, almost curling around her body like a snake. I grab my laptop off of the desk next to the bed and begin to look up possible monsters. Next to me, my phone goes off. "Dean" I mumble before picking up my phone.

"What?" Sam grumbles         

"Dude, five-oh, take off." Dean replies. I stand up and peek out the curtains. The Deputies are approaching Lily and Dean

"What about you and Lily?" I ask

"Uh, they kind of spotted us. Go find Dad." Dean hangs up the phone.

Dean's P.O.V.

I hang up the phone and push Lily behind me as the Deputies approach.

"Problem, officers?" I grin. The deputy looks at Lily and looks back up at me

"Where's your other partner?" He asks.

"Partner? What, what partner?" Lily asks from behind me. He glances over his shoulder and jerks his thumb towards the motel room. The other Deputy heads over there.

'Son of a bitch' I think and fidget. The deputy turns back to us

"So. Fake US Marshal. Fake credit cards. You got anything that's real?" He asks

"My boobs." Lily and I say. We look at each other and grin.

"Jinx" Lily smiles at me before Deputy Shithead slams me over the hood of the car.

"You have the right to remain silent—"

Lily's P.O.V.

At the police station, the Sheriff enters the interrogation room we're being held in, I glare at the stupid ass as he sets a box down in front of Dean and I.

"So you want to give us your real names?" He asks.

"I told you, it's Nugent. Ted Nugent." Dean answers, sassily. I sit there silent as Sheriff Shithead turns towards me.

"And how about you?"

I smile sweetly, "no hablo Inglés" The Sheriff sighs and turns towards both of us. "I'm not sure you realize just how much trouble you two are in here." "We talkin', like, misdemeanor kind of trouble or, uh, squeal like a pig trouble?" Dean smirks and I let out a chuckle. "You got the faces of ten missing persons taped to your wall." He says. I let out a sigh and Dean looks away. "Along with a whole lot of satanic mumbo-jumbo. Boy, you are officially a suspect." "That makes sense. Because when the first one went missing in '82 I was three." I reply.

"So you do speak English."

"Si señor" I laugh as Sheriff Shitface glares at me. "I know you've got partners. One of 'em's an older guy. Maybe he started the whole thing. So tell me. Dean. Lily." He turns towards us and tosses Dad's journal on the table. "This his?" We stare at it and I look at Dean. The Sheriff sits on the edge of the table and flips through the journal: it's filled with newspaper clippings, notes, and pictures, just like what's on the walls of Dad's motel room. "I thought that might be your names. See, I leafed through this. What little I could make out—I mean, it's nine kinds of crazy." I lean forward slightly to see the journal. "But I found this, too." He flips to a page DEAN 35-111, circled, with nothing else on that page. "Now. You're stayin' right here till you tell me exactly what the hell that means." Sheriff Shitface smirks.

WELCH HOUSE

Sam's P.O.V.

I knock on the door and wait until an old man opens it. 'Maybe that's him." I think to myself.

"Hi. Are you Joseph Welch?"

"Yeah." He replies gruffly

Later that day: 

The two of us walk down the junk-filled driveway, Joseph is holding the photo we had found on the motel room mirror.

"Yeah, he was older, but that's him." Joseph confirms, handing the photo back to me."He came by three or four days ago. Said he was a reporter."

"That's right. We're working on a story together."

"Well, I don't know what the hell kinda story you're working on. The questions he asked me?" I pause.

"About your wife Constance?"

"He asked me where she was buried."

"And where is that again?" Joseph turns towards me angrily.

"What, I gotta go through this twice?"

"It's fact-checking. If you don't mind." I reply. He turns and begins walking again.

"In a plot. Behind my old place over on Breckenridge."

"And why did you move?"

"I'm not gonna live in the house where my children died." He replies incredulously before stopping again.

"Mr. Welch, did you ever marry again?'

"No way. Constance, she was the love of my life. Prettiest woman I ever known."

"So you had a happy marriage?" Joseph hesitates.

"Definitely."

"Well, that should do it. Thanks for your time."

I turn toward the Impala but pause halfway there. "Mr. Welch, did you ever hear of a woman in white?" I ask. Joseph turns around.

"A what?"

"A woman in white. Or sometimes weeping woman?" He just looks at me.

"It's a ghost story. Well, it's more of a phenomenon, really." I say as I walk towards him. "Um, my sister told me that they're spirits. They've been sighted for hundreds of years, dozens of places, in Hawaii, Mexico, lately in Arizona, Indiana. All these are different women." I stop in front of him.

"You understand. But all share the same story."

"Boy, I don't care much for nonsense." Joseph says brusquely before walking away.

"See, when they were alive, their husbands were unfaithful to them." He stops again, back facing me.

"And these women, basically suffering from temporary insanity, murdered their children." He turns towards me.

"Then once they realized what they had done, they took their own lives. So now their spirits are cursed, walking back roads, waterways. And if they find an unfaithful man, they kill him. And that man is never seen again."

"You think...you think that has something to do with...Constance? You smartass!" Joseph says furiously

"You tell me."

"I mean, maybe...maybe I made some mistakes. But no matter what I did, Constance, she never would have killed her own children. Now, you get the hell out of here! And you don't come back!"

Joseph's face shakes, whether from anger or grief it's impossible to tell. And after a long moment, he turns away. I sigh.

Like

Follow

Comment