Chapter Three: The Damned Follow Her

“There.” I point towards a woman tacking up posters with Troy's face and the caption ‘Missing: Troy Squire’. “That's her.”
“Yeah.” Sam replies as we approach the woman.
“You must be Amy.” Dean says, getting her attention.

“Yeah.” Amy turns towards us, her brow raised
“Yeah, Troy told us about you. We're his uncles. I'm Dean, this is Sammy, and his godmother, Lily”
“He never mentioned you three to me.” She says before walking away. I push through Sam and Dean’s shoulders and race after her. “Well, that's Troy, I guess. We're not around much, the boys are up in Modesto, while I’ve been all over for work.” I smile
“So, we're looking for him too, and we're kinda asking around.” Sam come up and stands beside me

Another young woman, Rachel, comes up to Amy and puts a hand on her arm. Looking at us warily.
“Hey, are you okay?” She asks Amy
“Yeah.”
“You mind if we ask you a couple questions?” Sam asks the two.

“Maybe we can go to a diner and talk, I’d love to hear about my godson.” The girls smile slightly as I link arms with them.

 We all go to a small diner,the five of us sitting in a booth.
“I was on the phone with Troy. He was driving home. He said he would call me right back, and...He never did.” Amy lowers her head sadly.
“He didn't say anything strange, or out of the ordinary?” Sam asks

She shakes her head.
“No. Nothing I can remember.”
“I like your necklace.” I say, nodding toward the pendant. She holds the pendant up, a pentagram in a circle, and looks down at it.
“Troy gave it to me. Mostly to scare my parents—“She laughs. “—with all that devil stuff.”

Sam and I laugh awkwardly looking down, then back up.
“Actually, it means just the opposite. A pentagram is protection against evil. Really powerful. I mean, if you believe in that kind of thing.” I reply softly.
“Okay. Thank you, Unsolved Mysteries.” Dean takes his arm off the back of Sam's seat and leans forward. “Here’s the deal, ladies. The way Troy disappeared, something's not right. So if you've heard anything...”

Amy and Rachel look at each other.
“What is it?” I ask
“Well, it's just... I mean, with all these guys going missing, people talk.” Rachel answers
“What do they talk about?” Sam and Dean ask in chores.
“It's kind of this local legend. This one girl? She got murdered out on Centennial, like decades ago.” Dean looks at Sam and I, who watch Rachel attentively, Sam nodding.
“Well, supposedly she's still out there. She hitchhikes, and whoever picks her up? Well, they disappear forever.” The three of us look at each other.

“Wonderful… A bitch who likes to kill her ride home” I slump back into my chair, annoyed.

After leaving the diner, we head to the Library.

“Oh hell no.” I say as we get out of the impala. Dean and Sam turn and look at me, confused “I am so not going in there without coffee. I’ll meet you guys inside.” I grab my purse and walk towards a café down the block. Dean chuckles

“Get me some pie!” he calls out.

“Bite me.”

I walk into the cute building and notice shelves filled with books going to the ceiling. ‘Woah.’ I smile giddily and walk towards the counter. An older woman with greying hair looks up at me before her eyes get wide and she backs away, terrified.

“Demon! Demon! Fugi! Darkness te urmează!” (Demon! Demon! Run Away! Darkness follows you!) She screeches, pointing at me.

“Momma! Momma, stop it! Go make some tea!” I young woman comes in and pulls the older woman back

“Nu!Damned urmează această fată! Ea trebuie să părăsească acest loc!” (No! The damned follows this girl! She must leave this place!) I slowly back away.

“No, no it’s fine! I’m sorry for troubling you.” I put my hands up as surrender and walk out of the shop, the old woman’s screams following me. “I just wanted a coffee, damn.”

When I get back to the library, Sam and Dean are shoving each other, a web browser is open on the computer between them
“I got it!” Dean says pushing Sam, and then the war begins.

“Idiots, I’m surrounded by them.” I say to myself before pushing their chairs over and replace "Murder" with "Suicide" and hit enter.  “Bam, this is why women run the world.” I smirk click ‘print’ before turning towards the boys, their mouths agape. “A word of advice, you guys have to be smarter than what you’re trying to use.” I pick up the freshly printed pages and hand them to Sam.

A local woman's drowning death was ruled a suicide, the county Sheriff's Department said earlier today. Constance Welch, 24, of 4636 Breckenridge Road, leapt off Sylvania Bridge, at mile 33 of Centennial Highway, and subsequently drowned last night.

Deputy J. Pierce told reporters that, hours before her death, Ms. Welch logged a call with 911 emergency services. In a panicked tone, Ms. Welch described how she found her two young children, 5 and 6, in the bathtub, after leaving them alone for several [minutes]. She reported that their complex-[...]

What happened to my children was a terrible accident. And it must have been too much for my wife. Our babies were gone, and Constance just couldn't bear it," said husband Joseph Welch. "Now I ask that you all please respect my privacy during this trying time."

At the time of the children's death and Ms. Welch's subsequent suicide, Mr. Welch was at the Frontier auto salvage yard, where he works the graveyard shift as associate manager.

"Connie might have been quiet, but she was the sweetest, most caring girl I ever knew," said Deanna Kripke, a neighbor. "She just doted on those children."
“This was 1981. Constance Welch, twenty-four years old, jumps off Sylvania Bridge, drowns in the river.” Sam says, handing a picture of Constance.
“Does it say why she did it?” Dean asks
“Yep.” I say, moving behind Dean. “An hour before they found her, she calls 911. Apparently her two little kids are in the bathtub. She leaves them alone for a minute, and when she comes back, they aren't breathing. Both die.” Dean raises his eyebrows and looks up at me.
“Hm.” The article had a picture of Joseph next to a picture of Sylvania Bridge; it's the place Troy died.
"'Our babies were gone, and Constance just couldn't bear it,' said husband Joseph Welch." Sam quotes.
Wait, does this bridge look familiar to you?” I ask, pointing to the bridge.