Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Really? Did he say anything... sensitive?"

"No... not really but I couldn't stand him talk to Gwen in such a manner. You very much know how open-minded and outspoken she is? She sensed that I was getting uncomfortable with him speaking and his presence alone so she spoke up" she told her twin and sighed as she look out of her bedroom window.

"I know, but what do you think he wanted to talk about?"

"I don't know like we already broke up and now after almost two years, he decides there is something to talk about? Impossible" she said and her twin sighed on the other side of the phone.

"That guy is a confused person"

"I am aware of it but..." it was her turn to let out a sigh.

She didn't know who to tell this to and since she had not been able to keep it hidden for the past two days, she decided to call her twin and explain her encounter to her.

"But what?" she asked but Bethany was unable to say anything.

But what exactly? What is the but here? She was done with him and all his lies, cheating, and deceit so what was there again? What is the but here?

"Beth, talk to me. But what?" she asked again and got no response again.

She let out a sigh and shuffling could be heard in the background before Rosalie spoke again.

"Bethany Fiyinfunoluwa Ayotunde, don't tell me you still have feelings for Mike," she said in a stern voice.

"Ha! Haba nau, I don't have feelings for Mike. Everything between us ended long ago"

"Then what? What is bothering you now?"

"I don't know Rose, I don't know. When I saw him it was like something deep inside me was rekindled and I would tell you that I didn't like that thing I felt, even when he talked it felt so familiar and my heart responded to the sound of his voice like it beats for him" she explained.

Bethany could already feel the tears gather in her eyes as she talked about this. She had told Ricardo when he came back from work about her encounter with her ex but excluded how she felt seeing him after a long time.

She knew deep in her heart that she loves Ricardo Herman so much and loves how the sight of him alone gives her goosebumps or whenever she hears his voice, it feels like she is falling in love over and over again.

But when she saw Mike again, there was something familiar in her that seem to have been awakened and it was slowly coming alive as he spoke and looked into her eyes.

Was that a trick of his? Did he know how he affected her? Or how she reacts to him looking deep into her eyes?

She closed her eyes and shook her head vigorously to get those thoughts away from her head.

"No, I don't feel anything for him. I feel nothing for Mike and he doesn't affect me" she spoke out loud.

"I didn't say you feel anything for him or affected by him... or are you?"

"No" she answered too quickly.

Rosalie let out a sigh.

"Have you told Ricardo about this?"

"Yes, not just the deep things I am telling you now"

"You will need to tell him then"

"What? Tell him that I might still feel something for my ex who abandoned me for the woman he cheated on me with?" she whisper-yelled.

"Yes or let me ask you this"

"Go ahead"

"Did you guys break things off officially?"

"Yeah"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I could remember him saying he needed space and after I caught him with her then broke things off because of how angry and hurt I was then I called him one time I was missing him so much before he told me to move on with my lonely life and not call him again so we broke things off officially" she explained to her.

"Hmm, do you like him?"

"I think so"

"You need to talk to Ricardo about it"

"What? I cant, how do you think he would react to that? That I haven't gotten over my pathetic ex when I am engaged to him?" she asked with a frown.

"Well, he would understand when you tell him and talk about everything to him, how you met him and what transpired between you both. You can't deny the fact that Mike was your first love and since you were so invested in him, it might have made you attached to him in some ways even though you say it is truly over and that you have moved on" he twin explained and she buried her face in her palm.

"i don't know sis"

"Even I don't, Leo is my first and true love so I can say I have grown attached to him like he is my second skin but since you love Ricardo like you have told us countless times and like I have seen in your eyes when you talk about him, you need to let him in on your past"

"Everything?"

"Everything" she answered.

"Is this what people meant by being naked when you are in a real, deep, and love invested relationship"

"Yeah, I can say that. There would be no secret apart from their surprise birthday, anniversary or so. You both will become transparent when it comes to both you. Nothing to hide but something to share" she said.

"Being naked and open to each other"

"Yes, that is it" she confirmed for her again.

"Umm... I guess I am telling him about it then" she bows her head then stood up and went to her kitchen to fetch herself a glass of water.

"That is the right thing to do... so how far with the employment of the catering staff? Is it going well?"

"Yeah, it is. There were a lot of talented people who came in to apply" she poured the water into the cup and took a gulp before continuing.

"Remember how I said we needed to get more hands with the baking since our head baker resigned to start his own bakery?"

"Yeah, I do... you found one already?"

"Yes, I did. Rose, you should taste his pastries... oh my GOD, so smooth in the mouth and you never want to stop eating them. We hired him and he will start working from next week since he is being toured around the bakery so that he gets familiar with the environment."

"That is amazing, I am glad you are handling things well"

"Me too" she replied and they talked for some time before saying their goodbyes and disconnecting the line.

Letting out a sigh, she relaxed on the kitchen stool with her head on the counter and her phone right beside her head.

She lift her head to look at her engagement ring and a smile formed on her lips.

"I love Ricardo, not Mike... Mike is my past and he should stay that way"

'We need to talk' his words rang in her head and she closed her eyes to push them out.

That was something she had wanted them to do when he did that to her but he discarded her invitation for a proper talk on why he cheated and left her heartbroken after all they have been through together.

"There is nothing to talk about, he just doesn't want to see me happy after he left me," she tells herself what her mind wants to dwell on and tried to neglect what her heart is telling her.

Deep down she wanted them to have that talk. It has been almost two years now and she is happily engaged to the most thoughtful man ever and would be a mother to a young well-mannered and beautiful girl.

GOD blessed and compensated her for her broken heart.

"I better talk to Ricardo about this so I can rid it of my mind" she stood up from the stool and made her way to her room.

She needed to stop thinking about him.