Chapter 38: Secrets

When I woke up I found my myself in a hospital bed, the dim light made my eyes tingle a bit. I couldn't figure exactly how I got there all I knew I had a bad as headache. I glanced out the window, the sky was dark and the only light was the stars and the full moon. The only sound was the the cars and trucks driving by.

"Your awake."

I turned my head away from the window and looked at him." Why am in here, what happened?" I asked, my throat was dry and sounded unusually deep for me.

"You passed out, the doctor said you had a nervous break down."

" How long was I asleep?"

"Two days."

My mouth dropped." Two days?? " How could I sleep for two days? " Wait what about Kiara is she-"

He frowned." She's in a coma, the doctors had to do open brain surgery, they don't know when she's going to wake up."

I place my hand over my mouth." Oh my God."

He stood up and sat down in the chair next to my bed and took my hand."Keep The Faith." he said with a crooked smile.

I lifted my head but a sharp pain went through. I fell back with pain.

He chuckled." Your not suppose to do that, you hit your head pretty hard when you fell."

I sighed." Ugh whatever. " I said.

He leaned in and kissed me tenderly. " For the first time in a while I got to be the on to kiss you first."

I only shook my head. And began staring at the ceiling. I couldn't believe that Kiara was in a coma, that was just to much for me to take in. Why did all this had to happen while we were going through the trial...wait.."What about the trial did you-"

He shook his head."I didn't miss it, there was a new lawyer there who was representing me, I was afraid that I'd had to use Thomas but there was this other man there who were asking Janet all these questions and everything it was kind of funny to watch. But your gonna be called the witness stand again."

"I kind of figured that."I mumbled.

He gave me a confused look."Figured what, that there would be another lawyer representing me or that you would have to be called to the witness stand again?"

"Witness stand."I said.

"Do you think Thomas hired him?"

I shrugged my shoulders."I don't know," I lied."Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, why does it matter?"I asked.

"Because, I don't like having people I don't know representing me, I don't what he wants."

"Maybe he just want to help you."I suggested.

"Maybe...but like I said, I don't trust anybody but you and Mother."He said as he began playing with my curls."It's better not to trust anyone else."

I sighed."You shouldn't just not trust anyone, you just have to know who to trust and who not to."I said quietly.

He shook his head."But I don't have instincts to tell me who's trying to get me and who's not."He said sarcastically.

"You don't have to have instincts you just have to look for the signs."I said.

"Well I'm blind when it comes to that."

Just then the door opened and the nurse walked in, she was the same nurse that was going to tell us the news of Kiara, she had a smile on her face this time, instead of a blank expression."Mrs. Jackson your awake."she said as she walked over to me and flashed a light in both of my eyes."I see no trauma, or funny eye movements. Everything seems normal."She said."So your good to go, of you want to leave tonight you can, if that's okay with your husband."she looked over at him.

Michael looked at me."I think she wants to leave, she doesn't like laying in a bed all day."He said as he patted my hand.

I rolled my eyes.

"Well, just take aspirin for the pain and you'll be fine."She said.

I nodded and she walked out the room. Michael began helping me up out of the bed and had me standing on my feet. He handed me my coat and I looked at him like he was crazy."It's November and the temperature as dropped."He explained.I sighed and let him help me put it on. We then walked out of the room and into the long white hallways of the hospital as we began walking I started to think about Kiara. Then I stopped in the middle of the hallway. Michael turned and looked at me."What's wrong?"He asked.

"I want to see Kiara."

He frowned his eyebrows, looking as if he didn't want me to."Liyah, I-"

"Just take me to go see her, just for second."I said.'

He sighed."Okay..."He said the took my hand and turned back towards the rooms.

We ended up in the ICU and then we took a could of turns and we stopped in front of the room.  I looked up at Michael and he had a look that said I needed to brace myself for what I was about to see. I knew I was strong enough to handle it, it wasn't anything that would make pass out again...was it. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

There sitting on hospital bed, life less, was Kiara, she had so many tubes hooked up to her that I could barely see where her arms were. I slowly walked up to her to get a better look. Her head was wrapped up in bandages from her surgery and she had a huge band-aid on the left side of her forehead. I looked over at the Life support machine and the lines were going up and down but at a low level. Tears began to flow from eyes as I stroked her cheek."Kiara?"I asked."If you can here me, I want you to hold on in there for me, okay? Hold on for Kaliyah and TJ." I bend down and kissed her on the cheek then turned to Michael."Get me out of here, please."I said.

He put his arm around me and lead me out the room, we quietly walked out of the room with out another word.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The drive home was quiet, we didn't say anything at all, all I did was sit there and all he did was keep his eyes focused on the road. My mind was in so many different places that it wasn't even funny, One minute I'm thinking about the trial and Michael, the next I'm thinking about Kiara and the wreck and how badly I wanted to kill Trey for cheating on her. Then I'm thinking about my mother.That was something I definitely wasn't used to at all. I just couldn't imagine things getting any worst then they were now, and I just couldn't wrap my mind around all of this it was just.....to overwhelming.

When we pulled into the driveway I noticed that Keisha's car was in the driveway, I got of the car without Michael's assistance and walked up the steps and opened the door, I placed my bag on the floor and walked into the dinning room where Keisha, Rashad , Star was sitting. Star had her head down and looked as if she was crying or something. I took my coat off and put on the chair."What's going on?" I asked.

"Star?"Keisha said, looking at her.

Star lifted her head up, her face was soaked with tears."I have something I need to tell you."She said.

.I raised my eyebrow."What is it?"

"Stephanie and Evan, Evan Chandler, they were the ones who...."She let her sentence trial

"They were the ones who burned down the ranch, I know."I Said.

She gave me a confused look."How do you know?"

"I'm dumb, okay, it was pretty obvious."

"Oh."She seemed relieved. But I could tell that there was something else she needed to tell me.

"Star, is there something else I need to know."

She nodded her head slowly."They plan to do something to make them win the trial so that Mr. Jackson has to go to jail, for sure."

"What is it."I asked eagerly.

"They're going to force.....they're going to force the kids to say that he did it."She said.

"Who's kids?"

She looked up at me as more tears started to fall from her eyes."Yours."