* T W E N T Y- F O U R *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song-----}

"Sandrevan Lullaby/Lifestyles" By Rodriguez

* T W E N T Y – F O U R *

“What?” Wren asks, breaking me from my shock.

“Uh…” I begin before clearing my throat, “Well see this card? This is The Fool. This represents a life free of worries or burdens but this card is reversed. This means in your past you were a victim of recklessness. Your childhood was difficult and because of it you are suspicious and often fearful of others.”

“Well that’s pretty spot on.” Wren mumbles before pointing to the one paired with The Fool, “And this one? This one is also upside down right?”

“Yes. The Chariot would show triumph or mastery in its upright position.” I tell her holding up the card for her to see, “But your is in reverse. It shows your past to be full of lashing out, rash behavior and lack of control. In summary I would say your past was not pleasant. You often feel out of control because of this and so you practice control in as much as you can. Relationships with others mostly but with yourself you find your anger to be uncontrollable. You strike out but you feel bad because of it.”

Wren squirms in her chair and I peek over at Jack to see him already looking at me impassively. He knows exactly what his mate has gone through and knows exactly who she is. The love he has for her though is clear and it makes me want to smile. He takes her as she is, despite it all or even because of it all.

Deciding to end the uncomfortable tension in the room I push the past to the side and move into the present. Inhaling the amber scented smoke I try to focus as I read the cards in front of me. I can’t help the smile this time as I take in the cards before me. Much happier things here.

“Ah yes, The Lovers.” I smirk, “Not that this is much in the way of predicting but you two have followed your hearts to find each other. This is not in reversed and there is nothing keeping you apart. You have made a good choice being together.”

“Well that’s a relief isn’t it, babe?” Jack asks with a smirk.

Wren rolls her eyes with a smile and turns her head to face him, “I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders as we speak.”

“Could you two be anymore nauseating?” Brandon groans from his place at the other side of the desk. His head is leaned back against the wall while his leg is hitched up on the wall behind him. Glancing in my direction his expression turns sheepish, “What?”

“Like you’re any better.” I state with a raised eyebrow.

“Are you complaining?”

I smirk at him, “I could be tempted to.”

“Oh yeah, you guys are way worse.”  Wren drawls before pushing the other card paired with The Lovers. “Alright so what’s this one?”

The Magician.” I tell her, “Its upright, which is good. This card symbolizes revelation, a positive transformation and understanding. You’ve become more clever, diplomatic and focused during this time of change and have come out the better for it.”

“So I’m a good Alpha?” Wren asks dryly.

“You could say that.” I agree with a little nod.

“So that’s the present right? What about these two?” She asks touching the last pile, the one that has my heart in my throat. “I mean this guy doesn’t look to promising.”