*P R O L O G U E*

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

P R O L O G U E *

The wolf’s heart was beating his chest so hard it nearly rocked his frame with every thud. His paw slid in the mud as he ran, attempting to stay the course he knew would lead him home, to The Echo pack. He would find solace there, he was sure of it. Still the injections they had been giving him, the ones that made him too weak to escape before this point, were taking their toll.

Still he kept on pushing himself to the limits.

A scent caught his attention on the wind making him stumble. There was something drawing him towards it. It was something that told him that it would lead him to a place he was supposed to go. The sound of frantic voices from behind him though snatched his wolf’s attention again and he was on the move.

“I think I saw the damn thing head this way, Chet.”

“Well catch it!” The other man yelled, his footsteps loud enough for the wolf to avoid his location but letting him know they were approaching. “We’re getting a pretty penny for this son of a bitch and I ain’t losing out just because you can’t keep it under control.”

“Well hell, we dosed it with so much of that shit I didn’t think he’d make it out.”

“Shut up and get it!”

The wolf goes on instinct and slinks back into a hidden area behind a toppled tree. The two men pass him by without a second though and there he decides to stay until dusk. When light fades into darkness he attempts to get up but he can’t. The wolfsbane in his system has beaten him into weakness yet again.

Locked into his second form and most likely dying he closes his eyes.

Not the most fitting death for a Beta, he thinks.

No, not fitting at all.

****************************************************************

SOUND THE TRUMPETS! Hex is here! Who could our mysterious Beta be? Hmmmm....

VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW :}