* T H I R T Y - F O U R *

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song-----------}

"Cosmic Dancer" By T-Rex

T H I R T Y – F O U R *

There are a few rules one must learn when they're training to become a witch. There are clandestine sort of musings like: know thy self and thy power. There are also the basic humanitarian principles like never using your gift to hurt another unless they wish that harm onto you. That last one is the main reason I've been hesitant to really use my powers on others. Sure, I'll use them on Brandon but he's a special case. He's my mate after all and let's face it; he's annoying enough to sort of deserve it.

Of course, I could argue about the merits of the goddess's peace loving nature all day but Brandon won't hear of any of it. Instead he's insisted that I learn to spar. Knowing what I'm up against in the upcoming battle so I'm not surprised. Seems pretty rational but no matter how much of a good argument it is, I'm not comfortable with it. Hurting others isn't really in my nature. Even if I'm angry and lash out I don't mean to cause harm. I aim for discomfort.

"Are you dragging your feet on purpose or did I tire you out too much last night?"

Lifting my head I glare at the annoying mate in question. Well maybe I'm not as against violence as I thought because kicking his ass is looking better and better by the moment. I don't answer him but the amused smirk on his face tells me he knows exactly what I'm thinking. Good, maybe now he'll regret pulling me out of bed at the crack of dawn. He didn't even let me eat or properly wake up first!

"Don't be sour," He says lowly in my ear while wrapping an arm around my shoulder, "I'll make it up to you later."

Making a show of pouting my lips I look up at him, "How?"

I see his eyes flash a bright yellow color as they drift down to my lips, "I'm sure I can think of something."

"Actually, I know exactly what you can do," I whisper softly to him, hoping he'll take my bait.

"And what would that be?"

His husky voice is encouraging and I smile indulgently, "Let me go back to sleep like any other functioning human being."

"Not happening."

I push him away and scowl, "I don't like you anymore."

"You love me." He says proudly puffing up his chest.

"That's what you think."

"That's what I know."

"Shows what you know," I say lightly as I walk ahead of him.

He slows down his steps and I think that maybe I pushed it too far. I know how insecure he can be sometimes about my feelings for him, no matter how much I tell him I care. The insecurity always strikes at the weirdest times too. I mean, we can be joking around and he'll randomly just pull back. Figuring its one of these times, I start to turn around to soothe him but I'm surprised to see him running at me. I scream but it's cut off by Brandon scooping me off my feet and throwing me over his shoulder like some caveman.

"What the hell?" I yell at him, beating his back with my fists.

I can practically sense his grin, "You were being mean so you had to be punished."

"I wasn't being mean!"

"Yes, you were."

"No, I was not!"

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

I groan in frustration, "You know what? Screw you!"