* N I N E *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song---------------}

"Whole Lotta Love" By Led Zeppelin

*Very Mild Sexual Content

N I N E *

Meow.

I grunt but don’t open my eyes.

Meow.

I open one eye only to be greeted by orange fur as Ginger sticks his butt right in my face. Not the asshole I was hoping to wake up next to, I think dryly. With a groan I roll onto my back as I throw an arm over my eyes. It’s been a day and a half since I’ve been home. As soon as I entered my apartment I pretty much just collapsed into my bed and haven’t found the strength to get up.

I feel like shit. No, I feel like shit with a nice shit glaze and topped with shit flavored sprinkles. Yes, that’s a good description of what I’m feeling right now. My eyes are puffy and sore from all that damn crying and my body is exhausted despite having slept almost two days.

Just for fun, I’m going to blame Brandon for this.

“Well isn’t this just perfect.”

I groan and roll onto my stomach at the sound of Nadine’s paper dry voice. Burying my face into my pillow I try to pretend she’s not here. She doesn’t exist, Ruth. She is a figment of your imagination. Conquered from a nightmare like some demon to torture you with harsh truths. Okay, maybe I’m getting a bit dramatic in my depression.

“Care to explain?” She asks while coming to stand on the side of my bed.

I don’t lift my head but I do shake my head.

“Okay, well I’m going to tell you what I think happened and then you can tell me how close I am.” She says with a sigh before sitting on the edge of my bed. “I think he scared the living daylights out of you. I think you started to like him, like really like him and that made you want to run. And now I think you’re regretting that decision. How far off am I?”

I lift an arm and put my pointer finger and thumb really close together but don’t lift my head from my pillow. I’m a bit ashamed of my reaction to this whole situation. I mean we make out once and all the sudden I’m acting like he was the love of my life? Not exactly the best way to convince others of your mental stability.

Nadine begins to rub my back in a circular motion making me groan into my pillow. She doesn’t even realize how relaxing that is. “I know that this is hard for you and I know it’s also incredibly confusing. Believe me when I say, I get it. But that doesn’t mean you can’t just wallow in your own self-pity.”

I turn my head to pout up at her, “Why not?”

“Because its not only unattractive its unproductive. So get up, get dressed and come down to the shop with me. I need help.”

Rolling onto my back I face her, “How’s it been going down there, by the way?”

“Chaos.” Nadine smiles softly as she brushes some of my hair from my face. “But you know how I thrive in chaos.”

“Well that explains the storage room.” I mutter.

Nadine rolls her eyes before getting up from the bed. Moving towards the window her dark eyes almost seem hazel in the light. I know little about Nadine’s past but that’s not of my own choice. Nadine likes to say that the past is in the past and we must live in the future. Sometimes though I can see the distant pain in her eyes whenever I catch her unaware.