* T H I R T Y- S E V E N *

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song------}

"Children Of The Revolution" By T.Rex

* T H I R T Y – S E V E N *

"I am Alpha now," Claire says, her smirk still in place, "And when my mate comes through these doors you'll be nothing to this pack. In fact, you'll be less than nothing just like a dirty undeserving bitch like you deserves to be!"

At Claire's pronouncement we all kind of fall silent. All of us kind of suspended in time as we wait for Wren to respond to this. Honestly, I don't know how everyone else is feeling on the subject but personally I have no idea what to say. Part of me wants to ask if she's mentally sound but I keep quiet.

This girl, maybe no older than sixteen, just said to her Alpha that she is the real Alpha. I'd call the girl crazy but that would be an insult to crazy people. Apparently, I'm not alone in that thought either because with one glance in Nadine's direction and she's wearing her 'the kid's a fool' look. Still, neither of us says anything. We just stand here in awkward silence waiting for the Alpha to say something...anything really.

The silence is finally broken but not in the way I thought it'd be. Wren starts laughing...hard. She's actually almost downright hysterical in her laughter and she hangs on to me as she gasps for breath because of it. Honestly, I don't see what's so funny. This girl just put herself on the chopping block is this ends the way we want it to. If anything, I find it tragic that anyone let it get this far.

"What are you laughing at you psychotic cow?!" Claire screeches at Wren but Wren just keeps laughing.

We all watch her almost stupefied until another contraction cuts off her laughter but as she works through it a few choked laughs still escape. I swear I can feel my bones rubbing up against each other from how hard she's grabbing my hand but I don't complain. This is my job. I do whatever my charge needs until I'm not needed anymore and the oath is fulfilled. So, if she needs to break my hand to do that then so be it I guess.

"You..." Wren begins, panting tiredly, "Are...so...pathetic. You think you can be Alpha?"

"I am Alpha!"

Wren snorts, "You can't even shift you idiotic child!"

"I don't need to because I'm not going to be ruling alone like you," Claire scoffs, looking offended by the very idea, "I'm not some psychotic power obsessed bitch. I have a mate that'll protect me."

"How progressive of you," Mary comments lowly making me purse my lips.

I really don't want her getting involved in this especially with everything as tense as it is. She's just as human as Claire and that means she's in just as much risk. I'm okay with lying to my parents for her own good but I don't want the result of my lies putting her in danger. In the back of my mind I doubt if keeping her here was a good idea to begin with. Maybe then she's have a chance to be normal.

"Mate?" I ask trying to make myself focus on the situation happening now, "What mate?"

"Jamie," Claire says cheerfully.

Wren snorts, "He's not your mate. He's just playing you."

"He is not!"

"Did he ever tell you he was trying to fuck me when I beat the ego out of him? Did he? Because let me tell you, sweetie pie, if that prick was really your mate he wouldn't have even glanced in my direction."

Claire's whole face goes red with anger before pulling down the collar of her baby blue t-shirt, "He is my mate! He marked me as his!"

I wince at the sight of that bite mark. It's not healed. In fact it looks infected. I look at Claire in a more pathetic light. She's being played but she doesn't want to believe it. She's being used but she wants to believe she's really loved. It makes me heart ache with how much pain she must be in. Of course that's pretty well washed away when she opens her mouth.