Chapter 29

And I'll rise up
High like the waves
I'll rise up
In spite of the ache
I'll rise up
And I'll do it a thousand times again

Coming into the restaurant with Em by my side, we were late. My post op ran longer than I had anticipated, but Lainy wouldn't mind. She knows that I would never miss this.
"Do you have your present for Adelaide?" Emily asked me.
Holding up her present. "I wouldn't dream of leaving this behind. I hope she likes it."
"Likes it? Zeke, she is going to love it and you know it. I am so glad I got to meet her, she really brightened you up, even with everything that happened over the past couple of months." Emily smiled.
"How so?" I was confused. Was I not as happy before?

"Both you and Lemuel seem to be more content with being at the house. I remember before, you used to work so many shifts and would only go home once a week. You usually slept at my place, coming in at odd hours. Now you don't work as many shifts anymore, I do see less of you, but I don't mind it, since you spent your time with her. You seem to be more content in a way. And I am happy for you." I grabbed her by the back of her head and kissed her deeply. What would I do without this woman in my life?

"Have I told you how much I love you? Because I love you so much. I can't live without you anymore."
Emily laughed at my notion. Replying with I love you too. I couldn't wait to put a ring on her.
We got out of the car and gave the keys to the valet before going in. Lemuel and Nick ran in behind us.

"Someone is late to the party." Lem snickered.
"I actually have a valid excuse, what's yours?" I smirked.
"I also have a valid one. This guy." He pointed at Nick. "This guy is my excuse."
I shook my head at him.

"What? Dells loves him and actually can't wait in her words 'Get married, have a house with a white picket fence, a dog and 2.6 adopted kids playing in the backyard.' So yes, this guy is a valid excuse for her."

"Wait, she said that?" Nick asked Lem. Lem nodded. "On the plane ride back here when we were talking about what she wanted for her birthday. Dells, really likes you." Lem smiled happily.

Emily was right in a way. We finally had someone in our family that openly accepted our relationships. Our other siblings accepted them, but would never invite them out like this since Adaline didn't accept them. But Lainy did. Lainy invited them for her birthday knowing how important they were to us.

"Did you bring her a present?"
"Do you not see the bow on this guy?" Lem again referred to Nick.

"She asked me to bring Nick for her birthday. He is the gift." Lemuel laughed out. Nick looked smug while adjusting his bowtie that was in Lainy's favourite colours. Cobalt Blue on one side and Jade green on the other. Nick was holding an actual present in his hand.
"The big question would be, did you get Adaline a present."

"Of course I did." I held up a small envelope. Lemual immediately held up the same type of envelope. We both got her the same simple present. A giftcard... How original are we?

"Will you two stop bickering? We are already very late, they probably already started eating. Let's go." Emily hushed us and we walked further inside the restaurant. We were led to a private cubicle, where our family was seated and indeed had already started the first course. Apparently we weren't just a little bit late. Actually they were almost done with it.
That's when it hit me. Lainy was not at the table.
"Finally you guys are here!" Adaline chimed.
"Happy birthday Adaline. This is for you from Em and me." I told while handing her the present.
Lemual said the same as he handed her his present.
Both were simple gift cards. Both for Sephora.
" A hundred dollars for Sephora?" Adaline said in shock. I finally got her a good present for once. Thank god!
"I can't buy anything with that Zeke! Why only a hundred?!" And I spoke too soon.
"A hundred dollars is a lot of money, Adaline." Emily softly spoke out.