CHAPTER #20

Two days later Yuesheng arrived in Shanghai and began discussion with Enishi about the opium and weapons smuggling of the Shanghai Mafia.  All the while Enishi was also selling his multiple houses, to get more cash. The house he currently was using, would be left to Yuesheng. After discussion was satisfactorily completed, Enishi introduced Yuesheng to Bolin and the gangs of the port. Yuesheng had brought some of the Green Gang with him and his personal guards, which were big Russian men. With Enishi enforcing the changes, the Green Gang and Shanghai Mafia merged, to become an indomitable force. Yuesheng was also introduced to the police and government officials that had an alliance with the Shanghai Mafia.

While Enishi handled business, Sumi was working with Lei on how to fight. With the house staff's assistance, his sister was taught how to sew and cook. Sumi taught them both how to hunt birds and fish. The kids also learned how to ride a horse and how to walk with no sound. This was all in preparation for their eventual departure from Enishi's business and Shanghai.

Every evening the kids, Sumi, Enishi, Yuesheng, his enforcer and Bolin would eat together at the house. Yuesheng never asked about the children and Bolin already knew. During one such dinner, Yuesheng gave praise.

"Your wife is multi-talented, same as your children. But you sir are the best Zongshi! Never in my life have I met someone with such evolutionary ideas and meticulous planning!"

In Japanese Sumi asked Enishi, "what is a Zongshi?"

Her husband replied, "he's saying I'm THE criminal mastermind of the underworld. He's a superstitious twat."

She smirked, because Enishi was never impressed with titles or words. Sumi did understand Yuesheng's awe, because her husband still had many mysteries to unlock. Her attention shifted to the children, because Lei was cutting up his sister's food into smaller pieces.

Enishi had also noticed that Lei was a good brother and his progress impressed him. "Lei, I hear you made friends with Black Devil. If he lets you, try riding him."

"Can I?" Lei asked quietly.

"Yes.  Also when I train Sumi to use a sword, you are to join too."

It was the first time that Enishi had offered anything so directly to Lei and he boy worshipped the Boss instantly.

"Sumi, once he can ride the stallion, take him and Pearl to the stock yards."

Yuesheng asked why, but was ignored. So he turned his attention on Sumi. "So how did you meet the Boss?"

"It was in Japan and I was fighting off some attackers. When they pulled a gun on me, he stopped them."

Enishi elaborated the setting. "She's not giving you the full picture. Sumi was unarmed and swearing in Chinese, which is what first caught my attention. Then in a move, that was pure poetry in motion, she ripped out one man's jugular with her teeth. What a glorious display of blood. They cheated and tried to use a gun."

Sumi took up the narrative. "Enishi came in and took apart the gun. I knew he would be a good travelling companion and of course he's handsome." The children were staring at her, so she automatically switched to teaching mode. "Even when you have no weapon, teeth, head, hands, feet and so on, are all effective tools in a fight, if used correctly."

Lei nodded, "I know how much teeth can hurt." He looked at his sister and she pouted, so he patted the top of her head with affection.

"When your sister gets older, she will become a beautiful woman," Yuesheng observed. "Your mother Sumi, is a fine beauty herself, Enishi chose well."

Enishi felt, more than saw, Sumi's negative reaction to those words. Lei also didn't like the man's comment. And Enishi himself became jealous, darkening his mood. Yuesheng was completely oblivious, but was saved by Bolin.