CHAPTER #24

After another month of planning and preparation, it was finally time for Enishi, Sumi and the kids to leave Shanghai. Yuesheng had smoothly transitioned into the new Shanghai Mafia Boss, but he knew in his heart, that if Enishi ever wanted to return, he couldn't stop him.  Bolin chose to stay as Yuesheng's enforcer, but was emotional that he'd no longer be working with Enishi. They'd been Boss and Enforcer for so long, that they were almost like brothers.

Sumi would miss Feng and Pan Cheng the most. She left them with stacks of cash and a gold brick each. She was rewarding their loyalty and so that they could have independence from the Shanghai Mafia and serving Yuesheng, if they wanted. The children cried as they said good-bye to those two men as well. Lan gave Bolin a hug too, which surprised Sumi and the man himself.

The two mules were loaded with packs. There were bags of the best quality salt, hidden among other necessities. The geldings and mare, also carried essentials for travelling by land across China. Each city they visited, would lessen the load. The foal generally stayed by its mother, but it was fitted with a small halter and taught to be lead. To start Lei would ride behind Enishi and his sister was sitting in front of Sumi, in case the children fell asleep. Their little group left early dawn, with no fan fare.

"It seems too easy, do you think we'll be attacked on the road?" Sumi asked, glancing behind them.

"I doubt it."

"Why is Yuesheng letting you go, without making sure you're permanently gone?"

"He's a businessman, possibly a coward too, and definitely not a fighter." Enishi explained. He gave off an air of not being concerned, but he was using his Frenzied Nerves until they were far enough out of Shanghai.

They were travelling to Hangzhou, which was southeast of Shanghai. Because they'd left early morning before the citizens began their daily activities, they made it to Jiaxng in good time. For the most part they'd been moving through the streets at a good canter, but eventually had to slow to a trot. They stopped once to give the horses water and let the foal nurse from its mother. But it was evening when they rode into Jiaxng. So Enishi paid for hay and a livestock paddock. They got a two bed room, at a nearby restaurant that had hotel like rooms above. Lei offered to stay with the animals, but Enishi explained that Black Devil would protect the horses and alert them if there was trouble. Still neither Sumi, nor Enishi would relax until they were in an area more rural. The children woke up and had some fruit and cheese, that Sumi bought from a vendor near the horses. Once they continued on from Jiaxing, Enishi would finally stop using his Frenzied Nerves, yet as always would remain aware of their surroundings. He was relying on Black Devil's ears to alert him to any problems.

The four of them went into the restaurant and ate their fill, including lamb skewers, at Enishi's expense. They were trying not to use the food they'd brought, until necessary. The children were tired and Sumi put them to bed, then rejoined Enishi. They walked to the stock pen to check on the horses. The foal was lying down on its side sleeping, while the other horses and the mules ate hay. From there they wandered the streets and walked along a canal artery. They didn't go to visit South Lake, but the night lanterns and sounds were romantic enough without going there. Enishi walked holding Sumi's hand. Eventually they returned to the room. The children slept in one bed, while Enishi and Sumi shared the other.

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**

In the early morning they ate breakfast at the restaurant, then headed to the stock pen. After securing the packs again the four of them rode on their way. A few citizens were awake and commented to each other as the little group went by.

"Those are some beautiful horses, must be wealthy that couple."

"That's a nice little family, I wonder where they're travelling to."

"Good looking family. I heard they stayed just one night here."

"I wonder why they aren't travelling by train."

"It's way too expensive by train if you're taking horses too."

The gossipers were left behind, but Enishi turned to look at Sumi. "We do look like a family. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would have one again, especially after Tomoe died."

"Same. I didn't think I'd ever stop being on the run or meet a man that I didn't want to kill."

Enishi smirked and winked at Lei, who was watching their exchange.

"I'm glad I tried to steal from you and didn't die." Lei added, "you two have taught me so much and helped my sister too." He glanced at Lan and smiled. "She's shy and doesn't talk much, but she loves you two as if you guys are our real parents."

"Thank you Lei," Sumi said and tossed him an apple. "Let the grey mare eat the core."

Enishi had Black Devil resume his ground eating canter, which had the other animals follow at the same speed. The most noticeable thing about their surroundings was that there were more trees and fields of grass. There were more hills and that would eventually become rougher terrain the closer they got to Hangzhou. The mountains could be seen off in the distance, when they were crossing a field. Although they couldn't see it, the East China Sea was on their other side.

The plan had changed; Enishi wanted to unload half the salt in Hangzhou, buy passage on the train and take it to Hong Kong. That's where the rest of the salt would be sold. From there they would continue on horseback until reaching Yunnan Province. There were three major areas of Yunnan Province that were important to salt production and smuggling. Heijing was in the mountains, known as the salt capital of China. Nuodeng had salt wells and Shiyang was key in salt production too. Although Sumi knew that Yunnan Province was where they would settle, she wasn't sure which area they would put their roots. Once Lei and Lan were old enough, they could also choose where they wanted to live and make their own family. However, overhearing Sumi discussing it with Enish, Lei had promised he would learn the salt smuggling business and live somewhere on its network.

The meticulous planning that Enishi had done to set up their future, was not lost on Sumi. To Lei he was completely amazed how thorough the Boss had plotted. He was learning that even the best laid plans needed multiple contingencies if one option failed. That is how Enishi always saw the world and lived his life.

"The world changes every second, so it's how we learn to adapt and make it to our advantage, that defines our lives." Sumi educated Lei and Lan. "At a young age you, Lan, me and Enishi all had circumstance mold us into who we are, but it is our own will that put us on this path together."

Enishi turned in his saddle and winked at her. "You sound like a philosopher."

"She's too pretty to be Sun Tzu or Mencius," Lei grinned.

"I think I'm a little too devilish to be a philosopher."

"You just sometimes lack patience," Enishi smirked.

Lan softly added, "Mom meant that we all fit together."

Sumi patted Lan's head affectionately. "That might be a miracle in itself."

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

Once the horses were loaded on the train in Hangzhou, the four travellers sat in the back of one passenger compartment. Enishi and Sumi had the wall to their backs, with the children facing them. Lei sat with his head leaning on the window, while Lan was on her side, with her head  resting on Lei's thigh, as they both had fallen asleep.

Sumi looked at them fondly. "I'm glad we took the children with us, thank you."

"They're surprisingly good kids."

Leaning her head on his shoulder Sumi asked softly, "Enishi, does Tomoe smile now?"

"She has been, ever since I met you."

THE END