CHAPTER #12

Habits were hard to break, which meant that Enishi still was extra sensitive when going to the port, even though Sumi had his back. Since no one but her knew that he no longer killed, everyone feared him and his explosive temper. He was still ruthless to a certain extent. Shanghai was a treaty port, which meant it did business with international countries. Which was why Enishi was fluent in English, not just Chinese and Japanese, which Sumi found out that day. There were Western traders, travellers and some news reporters too. Because he was so multi-lingual, when business men from other countries came, Enishi didn't need an interpreter. Sometimes he played the ignorant role, so they thought he didn't completely understand everything they said. They would drop their guard and say things, that he otherwise wouldn't have found out. It was a brilliant ploy. He was an opportunist and monopolized early technological advances, because of that.

"We'll take a rickshaw. The coolies know more about the coming and going of foreigners, than the shop keepers."

"Do you have brothels here or street women? Men have loose tongues with ladies of those services."

"I know a few of those women. I pay them for information and no other service." Enishi clarified his involvement, to prevent misunderstandings later.

The rickshaw wasn't as smooth as a horse drawn carriage, but it got through the crowds faster. He told the coolie to wait for him and paid extra to guarantee that service. Then Enishi and Sumi walked down the dock towards the ships. Here and there he stopped to talk to the crews loading and unloading merchandise. They all saw a woman in a black hooded cape standing behind him and were very careful not to offend him or her. Word had spread like wild fire that he was marrying someone as lethal as he was.

She caught a pick-pocket, before the kid even got close to Enishi. "Putting your hands anywhere near us is a death sentence," Sumi warned. Then to her fiancé she asked, "is he one of yours?"

"No."

"Please, I didn't mean to...."

Her knife nicked his neck, causing a bead of blood to come out. "I don't like liars. Why shouldn't I kill you now?"

"I have a little sister I need to feed."

"And?"

"I know things others don't. I hear things. Spare my life and I'll work for you." The boy tried to negotiate.

"What do you know?"

"The Captain of the German ship Spinnennetz, is working on a deal to smuggle opium with Yue Sheng. Yue's part of the police and extorts protection money from the opium traders in Tientsin."

Enishi heard him and winked at Sumi. She asked the kid, "what's your name?"

"Lei."

"How old is your sister? And where are your parents?"

"She's five and my dad is dead. Who knows where mom is."

Sumi gave him some money, from what Enishi had given her in the morning. "Do you know who I am?"

"Lady Killer....Shanghai Mafia assassin." The boy practically whispered his answer.

"Just remember that. Any day that you bring me useful information, I'll give you money. But it has to be something my husband wouldn't know otherwise. Understand?"

"Yes ma'am. Where should I go to report to you?"

"Come to our house in Pudong, ask for me." As the kid turned to go, Sumi added, "Lei, who's the best merchant to buy ginseng massage oil from?"

"Mei makes it. You can find her near the..."

Sumi held up her hand and he stopped talking. She gave him more money. "Bring it to me at sunset and I'll give you dinner. If you're late you die."

"I won't be late!" The boy shouted and ran away.

"Enishi did the kid's story help you?"

"Enough to know where to send my men. Hu, Bolin!" Enishi called his men over. "Bring me the German Captain of the ship Spinnennetz. Do it now."

"Yes Boss!"

The men called to some of their gang fellows and went in search of the ship. There was a commotion and some gun shots, but in the end Hu and Bolin managed to bring the unwilling Captain to Enishi. The German was put on his knees in front of him, with arms held by the gang members.

"Do you know Yue Sheng?" Enishi asked in English.

The German spat at him, but Sumi was the one who took action. She squatted in front of the man and held a knife to his groin. The German Captain begged her not to do anything rash. Not understanding a word he said, Sumi just smiled. A translator from the German ship hurried over and explained in English. Then he confirmed their connection with the policeman.

Enishi coldly directed, "Hu tell the harbour master this man's ships aren't welcome in Shanghai."

"Please sir, we'll do anything you want!"

"You need opium?"

"We have a big shipment already spoken for."

"Bolin, work out something with the Germans, then take a few men and go find out more about Yue Sheng. I want an update of the opium in Tientsin. I should've known someone would step into Heishin's shoes once he was gone."

"You've been busy. We'll handle it Enishi."

"Don't kill him, at least we know the player there."

The German men were released and the Captain drew a gun. Sumi had him choked unconscious, before it got pointed at anyone. The gang members hadn't even seen her move, so they were shocked, but also relieved that Enishi hadn't lost his temper.

"Sumi, let's go." Enishi said and began to walk back to the rickshaw.

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

The sun was just starting to dip past the horizon, when the pick-pocket boy came to the house. "Is the Lady Killer home? I've got the oil she asked for."

Sumi was in the bathroom, so Enishi told his man to let the kid in. Lei was terrified of whom he was sent to. It made him stutter.

"I-I g-got th-the ginseng oil for h-h-her B-Boss."

"How much did you pay?"

"Less than what anyone else would p-pay, s-sir." The boy dug in his pocket and pulled out the remaining cash.

"Keep it.... FENG!" Enishi called.

The man in question came running from the kitchen.

"Take the kid and feed him. Give him something for his little sister too. He's a thief, so watch his hands and check him once he leaves."

The boy almost cried, "I w-wouldn't steal from y-y-you or h-her, s-sir!"

"Smart kid. Loyalty is rewarded around here," Feng patted the boy on the head.