CHAPTER #22

"We're nearing the final stages of the power transfer from me to Yuesheng.  How goes the other preparations?" Enishi asked Sumi over breakfast.

"The kids are just about ready. The mare should be dropping her foal this week. I've got a few more things I want to pick up at the market, but most of it is already packed. Whenever you're ready to leave, we will be."

He nodded. "Once Yuesheng returns, you and I will go to the Suzhou Gardens. The best salt merchants are there and I need to confirm my arrangement with them. Since I plan to show you some of China, it will be a while before we get to Yunnan Province. Once our salt smuggling empire is established there, we can live wherever we want. But you should like it there, because it's one of the most southern areas and can get hot."

"Sounds perfect. Where else will you take me?"

"I was thinking first we'll go southeast to Hangzhou. From there we'll go to Zhangjiajie with it's dense forest, deep ravines and canyons, plus the caves where some of my men have already set up a network. Then on to the Li river in Guilin, which is part of Guangxi Province. The river passes Daxu, which is known for its market town. Then we'll head towards Yunnan."

"Other than our usual hooded cloaks, will we need anything warmer?"

"No, but maybe umbrellas, it'll be wet often." He was in deep thought, but Sumi knew he wasn't finished talking and so waited patiently. "Go with Lei to the market, that kid knows all the best vendors. I need Black Devil today. Yuesheng is back and we're visiting government officials and the police."

"Okay. We'll probably head out soon."

"Be careful, there's been a lot of foreign strangers in town lately. Something is brewing, but it's expected, as no shift in power ever goes smoothly, there's always blood shed." He gave her a large stack of money. "Is this enough?"

She nodded confirmation, gave her husband a long kiss and then called for Lei. The woman and boy left together, heading for the stables. They checked on the grey mare, then saddled Pearl and one of the geldings.

"Lei do you know which stall in the market sells Pennyroyal tinctures?"

"Isn't that what the ladies at the brothel houses used to get rid of babies?"

"Yes. Every city has a brothel or women of that profession. It's a highly sought after trade item."

"There are two places. One the merchant specializes in medicines and the other is a herbal woman."

"Take us there first.... What's Lan doing today?"

"Feng is teaching her how to make bread."

"Boring."

Lei shrugged. "She seems to like it and I get to eat all the things she makes."

Sumi laughed. "Are you ruled by your stomach?"

"Sometimes.... Lady Killer, tomorrow is Lan's birthday. Will you help me pick something to give her?"

"You need to get use to calling me Sumi or something else."

"Can I call you mother? Lan already does, but she's still scared of the Boss."

"Sure."

Shanghai was busy, Sumi saw a lot of foreign men in town, like Enishi had warned. The sooner they finished at the market, the better.

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**~ ~ ~ ~ ~**

The discussion between Yuesheng, Enishi and the police Chief was interrupted. An officer came in and whispered in the Chief's ear. The man bowed to the current Shanghai Mafia Boss. "Just outside of the market, your wife is fighting foreign men that attacked her and the boy. We are assembling men...."