x 42 x

x LAURA x

"So what's the plan?"

"I distract Synara's parents with some conversation while you and Demon look through her room," Dior says, pulling out a notebook. She roughly maps out Syn's house based off of memory. "I know Syn's parents well, and so does Khloe, but I hold conversations better than you do, sorry," Dior gives Demon a sheepish smile.

"I can't believe I'm agreeing to this," I grumbled, watching her sketch on the paper. "Can't I get another job that doesn't involve sneaking in a dead girl's room who hated me?"

"Things will move quicker if there's two people in the room looking for clues that might have hinted at...what she was gonna do and who she really was underneath the mask of our friendship."

"Why can't we just ask them if we can check up there outright?" I complain.

"Because what if they say no? Then that's a wrap. I'm not gonna consider that they'll say no, I'm just gonna go ahead and do this," Dior said sternly.

Demon only sighed, boredly watching Dior draw.

"I'm gonna give you a signal. While I'm talking, I'm gonna slip a question into the conversation and see how they respond. Then I'll go to the bathroom and make a big show of flushing so you're gonna have to be listening carefully. I'm gonna flush twice," Door instructs. "What's the question you're gonna ask them?" Demon asks curiously. I turn towards Dior too because I'm interested.

"I'm gonna ask them if the cops have already looked through her room or not and if they will. That's beneficial info for us because if they've already looked through it then we don't have to worry about anyone ever finding out we've been there and nine times out of ten, they won't need to come back for a second time. If they are planning on coming though, and they see evidence we've been there recently, they might tie things to us in a bad way even though we haven't done anything."

"That makes sense," I say, "so if we find out they're coming soon, we can just wait until after they look at her room."

"We can be careful. Leave everything as it was," Demon suggested. "So what if the cops check her room after us?"

"That's too risky," Dior says, and I agree. "You guys will move on my signal. Two flushes if the cops have already came, one flush if they haven't," Dior says in a final tone.

"And how do you suppose we leave if the plan's a no-go without being caught?" I ask, hands on my hips.

Dior sighed, "I guess we'll find out."

"What a fool will do for love," Demon muttered.

"Alright. I'm gonna park the car at Demon's. We should be able to walk from here," Dior told us. We pulled up into Demon's long driveway, parking Dior's car next to Demon's black Aston Martin.

"I'm starving," I complained under my breath.

"Okay. All we gotta do is hope they're home. If not, we'll just have to keep coming back," Dior said, determination in her voice.

"Yeah right," I chuckle, glancing over at a silent Demon. "You good?" I ask, stepping back to talk to her as Dior led the short walk to Synara's.

"Yeah. Not gonna lie, this is all is a bit unnecessary but I wanna help Dior grieve. She needs this," Khloe told me with a lot of pain in her eyes. "I owe her this much."

"Stop. Syn wouldn't want this," I find myself laying a hand on her chest, between the narrow valley of breasts, the black fabric of her shirt cool against my touch. Demon didn't have a bra on. Demon was taking a step towards me. I looked up into her eyes, the darkness within them glinting in the light, "Thank you, Laura. But I'm sure Synara wouldn't want this either."