x 21 x

x LAURA x

"Rhi, you don't understand. I been trying to talk to you guys but everybody's been acting weird?" I immediately say, as soon as Demon is gone.

"It's because of your new friends," they sighed. We slowly started walking down the hall, at the end of it, the doors outside to the parking lot area. "Everybody else has this idea that you're too good to be friends with us now. That you don't fuck with us no more," they shrugged. "And I thought that too until I noticed the uncomfyness between you and the rest of the trio."

I didn't know how much I could say. Demon was already trusting me a lot to allow me to be around Rhi without anyone listening in. Thank goodness she didn't know I had friends outside of the school. "I'm glad someone noticed," I finally said. I stared into my friend's eyes. "Let's just say I found out something I wasn't supposed to and now I'm stuck with the trio," I gave them a pained smiled.

"And you can't say what it is," Rhi finished, nodding.

"Nope," I sighed, rubbing the bottom of my shoes against the smooth tile floors. "Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and fix the way I acted at Southwest. Yeah, it wasn't the best environment but at least I knew my school had my back at the end of the day. Northwest is nothing but cruelty and competition."

"I miss my old school too sometimes. Back in Michigan, and before my brother's death in the Army," they admitted.

"I miss my sister," I said, "and the way I thought she was a super hero walking this planet. She used to be someone Maury and I could look up to. Now...I have to fill that role and worry about not turning into her."

"Maury's your," Rhi trailed off.

"My younger sister. She still goes to Southwest."

And I hope she never continues down the path that Gene and I have shown her. Rhi glanced back behind us, as if Demon would magically appear. "So when can we meet up and decide how to get you out of this pickle?"

"Pickle?" I frowned.

"Out of your situation, Laura," Rhi hissed.

Despite Demon's words, I could see her through the double doors waiting on me. I guess I really wouldn't have all the time in the world to talk to Rhi.

"I'll text you. I'm bringing along my other friend too," I tell Rhi quickly. I didn't even know what we were going to do but at least we would be all together to think. "Alright. Stay safe, Laura. I'm heading back to choir. I told Mrs. Pecker I had to pee."

I pushed open the doors, the hot sun on half of my body, the frigid coldness of the school on my other side. "Why are you at Mrs. Pecker's?" Demon awkwardly stood next to me as Rhi and I finished our conversation. Maybe give us more time to talk next time then, I thought angrily, seeing Demon's bored expression.

Rhi shrugged. "She needed some help with some things and I volunteered to stay after. She isn't that bad," they said.

"Well. Have fun," I said waving, "Bye."

Demon and I walked off into the parking lot, heading for her shiny car. "Did you tell her anything?"

I scowled at Demon, pretending like that would be the last thing I'd do. "I just wanted to see my friend. I wouldn't even do that," I shook my head, pretending to be done with her. If Demon knew I had told Rhi all that I had, what would Demon do to them? It was only the tip of the iceberg as far as info, but nonetheless, I had broken our twisted bargain.

"Sorry. Right," Demon said absentmindedly, closing her door and turning on the radio.

I stared at Demon's face as she drove.