Eleven

Playlist:

All time low: Kids in the Dark

Smoke and mirrors: Imagine Dragons

******

Hey Mr. Motion make me a potion

Shake it all up with your mystery

(Ready Aim Fire by Imagine Dragons)

I ran for hours already. It was just 10 since I left the house, but now it's already 1:30. I had ran everywhere, from my neighborhood to the bridge, to the short forest near the far away Costco. I decided to head back home.

I made a break for the fridge when I got there. It was only 4:00, so I would do my homework before my session today.

"Sweetheart? You home?" I heard my mom call out.

"Nah, I'm just a robber breaking in to steal your water."

I turned around to see my mom and some lady in a suit, she had a badge around her neck and a notepad and pen in her hands. I shifted my weight to my left foot, feeling uneasy.

"Baby," my mom started. "This is Detective Arias, she is looking in to the disappearance of your friend Armoni. She would like to have a few words with you."

Crap. It's been a week since the night it all went down, and Jax and I talked it out at Starbucks Wednesday, so I guess I should have known this was coming.

***

"What happens when people start looking for them?" Honestly, I was scared to death. So many questions I had, like who killed her, why, what happened to Cora, were we going to get caught?

"Chill, if anyone asks anything, tell them the truth. That Marjorie texted you saying she was missing because she wasn't answering her phone. That we met up and decided that maybe she just wanted to leave us for a while, and we relaxed, didn't stress it, few days later we find out she's missing. She asks anything suspicious, just say you don't know, and ask questions like 'who would do such a thing?'"

I wanted to tell him that that wasn't the truth but I held my tongue. He knew what he was saying.

"What about Cora?"

"Her mom didn't report her yet. She has a habit of dissappearing sometimes, so her mom thinks she'll come back soon."

"Wait, you didn't tell her?"

"Why should I? Besides that's jeopardizing everything. She'll realize Cora's not coming back, if she isn't. If Cora comes, even better. We'll talk about that situation later."

But how was this guy so calm? He literally radiated chillness from himself.

"Okay?"

"Okay."

******

It was not okay.

I was sitting with Detective Arias on the sofa, and she was pretty much staring into the windows of my soul or something.

"I just have a few questions for you, as your mom said, regarding Armoni West. It must have been really depressing knowing your friend was missing."

"It was. I was filled with mixed emotions, I was mostly hurt."

"Exactly when did you find out?"

There it was. The first question in this little mini investigation. I had to act smart and fast, if I paused too long she'd be suspicious.