53: Callie

Long chapter!

Will Callie finish the kiss list?

Find out...

Thanks amiva0402brightyeolie, and jueka1 for your comments last chapter.

____

I wasn't finished with my revenge plan at Ray though. In fact, the next week I was more determined to cross the next person off my list, hoping that midway through this term I could see myself finished with the list, with Lexi having no reason to talk to me ever again.

So, as I exited maths the following Thursday just before second break, I quickly trailed after the two familiar boys.

"Jackson," I called out after him.

Jackson and Zac came to a halt, glancing back at me, both with warm smiles on their faces, tainted by an ounce of pity—like they knew who all three of us were missing in our lives, and potentially me more than them.

"What's up, Callie?" Jackson asked when I finally caught up with them.

"Um... er..." But now that he was in front of me, smiling expectantly, patiently waiting, my heart began to hammer in my chest as I felt my nerve slowly slipping away.

"What is it?" he pressed.

"I, ah..." But then my gaze flickered to Zac who also had a curious brow cocked, intrigued to hear what I had to say.

But looking at Zac made me feel awkward about asking Jackson to kiss me... because I had kissed his friend. And had briefly dated his other friend.

And looking at Zac also made me feel guilty... because did he know about the girl he liked and Luke hooking up in the cubby over the school holidays? Had anyone told him yet? Did he find out? Were Luke and that girl even a thing or was it a one off?

"Yes?" Jackson tried again, dragging me from my spiralling thoughts.

"Could I, um," I said, glancing between him and Zac, wary of both boys staring at me, "Talk to you in private?"

"Sure," he said, dragging out the vowel noises before sharing a confused look with Zac. Nonetheless, he slowly trailed behind me as we rounded the corner back towards our maths class, now hidden from eavesdropping peers. "What's up?" he finally asked when we were alone.

Unsure how to even smoothly ask this and despite having questioned since he broke up with me how much of what Flynn said was a truth and a lie, I decided to trust my once-best-friend-slash-ex-boyfriend a final time as I blurted, "I'm doing this stupid kiss list bet with my sister and basically whoever finishes the bet first wins something and I'm desperate to win it and it's a stupid list we made when we were kids but you're on it as was Zac and some other people and I was kind of wondering if you'd let me kiss you so I can tick you off as I only have one more person after that." Once I got the whole almost nonsensical sentence out of my mouth I took a giant breath, relishing in the feeling of air in my lungs once more.

"A kiss list, hey?" Jackson smirked. "Isn't your sister... gay though?"

Lips pressing together, his question confirmed my suspicions—Sara and Lexi keeping their distance in front of me was all for show. Their guilt was to trick me. Meanwhile, behind my back, they were happy and in love. Nonetheless, I shrugged, "That part is irrelevant."

He smiled slightly at me as his eyes searched my face. "I'll do it under one condition."

"What's that?" I asked.