36: Callie

Thanks jueka1 for already reading. Here, have another...

*insert sly smirk emoji*

(long chapter ahead)

____

Things had been strange between me and Flynn since the creek. He seemed awkward in my presence, fumbling with his words, as if he were scared that any wrong move would break me.

He knew I liked him.

And I knew that expression on his face by the waterfall was disappointment and worry... It was the rejection I knew was coming.

While I was doing my best to accept it, I never expected to see him coming out of Lexi's room a week later. And of all days, on my birthday.

I knew that night he came over to confess who he liked it was to tell me he was falling for my sister. That they probably had a thing going on.

But I just wasn't ready to hear it.

While I interrupted Flynn that night saying I wanted to resume the kiss list, it wasn't until Friday, the last day of term, almost a month later, when he actually set something up for me.

Eyes on the ground as he spoke, he muttered, "I got us invited to a party. Luke will be there... Maybe you can play a game of spin the bottle or seven minutes in heaven... or we can do the dare thing again," he muttered.

I knew he didn't want to be near those three as much as I didn't. But I wasn't quite ready to try Jackson just yet because that would probably be a long game.

And who knows how I would ever get Ray to kiss me...

"Okay, great," I said to him. "I'll tell my parents I'm staying at Sara's. Where does he live?"

"It's not at Luke's. It's at the same place as... the first party."

"The cubby place?" I asked, surprised.

He nodded in response, still looking anywhere but me.

"Feels like we are coming full circle."

Flynn breathed a laugh and agreed.

It's not like I wasn't noticing the bitter edge to his tone. But I was trying to not read into it. The more time we spent together since the creek incident, the more I realised he was distancing himself from me. A couple of times I noticed him and Lexi standing really close, whispering things to each other. But the pangs in my heart forced me to walk away so I didn't have to see my sister stealing the guy I liked.

Lexi was getting the wrath of my pain more than Flynn, that's for sure. I couldn't handle the fact she had encouraged me to confess to Flynn and then she pulled him into her room a week later... And didn't have the decency to tell me.

She knew I saw them exit her room together.

It was written all over her face that she knew that I knew what she had done.

But she never said anything.

Like the vindictive bitch she is.

"Hold still," Sara grumbled as she traced my eye with eyeliner.

"I am holding still," I muttered back, though making a better attempt this time.

It was hard to not narrow my eyes and glare at Lexi in the mirror. I hated that she had not only taken my best friend's attention, but also Flynn. And that she was pretending nothing was wrong.