29: Callie

Wrote another chapter this morning so here you go!

Thanks amiva0402jueka1, and brightyeolie for your comments last chapter.

Enjoy!

____

The car that Flynn pulled up in as I waited outside Sara's house for him was nicer than I expected, which had me raising my eyebrows.

But as I walked closer, two heads in the backseat caused my brows to furrow.

"Okay, two questions," I said as I climbed into the passenger side, trying my best to not check out Flynn's muscular shoulders and pecs that were now ridiculously evident thanks to the singlet he was sporting. I mean, he was bound to take it off and just swim in his boardies when we got to the creek but still... It was hard to not ogle already.

"Two questions?" he pressed, calling my attention back to his eyes as his hands rested on the steering wheel of the idling vehicle. The corners of his lips were turned upwards... almost as if he knew what I had been doing.

Face in flames, I turned to face the front as I pulled the seatbelt over me. Clearing my throat, I said, "Yes. Um, first, whose car is this?"

"My aunt's," he said with a grin, backing out of Sara's driveway and starting our longish trip to the creek. "And to answer your second question, the condition she gave me to borrow it was if I took these two troublemakers."

I slowly cocked my head to the side at Flynn before glancing to the back at the young boys.

"They're my cousins," he added for good measure. "Like my aunt's kids."

"Oh," I then said, turning back to him. "I thought you said your Uncle was going to let you—"

"He was but... Auntie offered. And her car is nicer." For some reason, his thumb began to stroke small circles into the steering wheel as he kept his eyes fixated to the road.

Nevertheless, as Flynn seemed to be finished explaining, I turned back to the boys. "What are your names?"

The younger of the two threw me a familiar grin—a feature that definitely ran in Flynn's family—before proudly responding, "I'm Charlie."

I returned his smile warmly before turning to the older boy. "And you?"

"Hunter," he said, a little more timidly, eyes wary of me.

"How old are you both?"

"I'm eight and Hunter is eleven," Charlie piped.

I gasped. "Wow you're both getting big. Hunter, does that mean you're in high school next year?"

He gave me a slight nod, before turning to look out the window, head hiding in his hand a little.

A part of me was a little nervous seeing Hunter's reactions to me, which I wasn't sure were because he already disliked me or perhaps he was shy. But I tried to not overthink it, instead focussing on Charlie's light attitude to steer the atmosphere.

"Well I'm Callie," I said to them. "I'm in Flynn's grade, so I'm almost seventeen."

"When's your birthday?" Charlie enthused, leaning a little forward in his seat.

But Flynn decided to intrude, tutting at him for not sitting properly before shooting him a glare in the mirror.

"Next weekend actually," I said to him.