𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 8

𝐂𝐨𝐜𝐨

The drive to Beverly Hills was amazing. The architecture, buildings and people were so different to what I was used to. Everyone looked happy, buzzing and free.

Restaurants littered with people as they rushed by lunch hour closing in and shopping bags on the arms of gorgeous men and women going about their day.

Watching these peoplemade me sad because I had missed so much of my life, while the rest of the world was movingon I was stuck in one place afraidto be more, afraid to live without the comfort of someone else on my arm.

The L.A humid air was enough to make my mouth dry. The sun was blazing up in the sky like a flag demanding attention of anyone near by. I don't think I saw a single person in sweats I was just impossible.

The red flowery spring dress felt like it was closing in on my skin the closer we got to the venue. My left leg—the one closest to him was bouncing up and down and he placed a warm hand on it to stop.

"You'll be fine" he tells me.

"But what if I say the wrong thing?" I whisper nervous now.

"You won't. All you have to do is entertain his girlfriend" he reassures me for the hundredth time. I admire his patience with me sometimes, the fact that he never seems to get mad at me when I argue with him over everything, it makes me re think my whole relationship with Jake and how wrong it had been.

"I know but I hope she likes me" I say staring out the window again my hands firmly clasped in my lap. He turns to look at me and softly turns my head so I'm looking at him.

"Never ever care about what somebody else thinks of you. You are you and you don't apologise for that, got it?" He emphases every word and I nod my head.

"So you're sure you are  OK with me introducing you as my girlfriend right?"

"Yup" I say popping the p and staring into his dark blue eyes. From afar they look almost black but up front they have to be the most beautiful shade of blue I've ever seen. This arrangement had been made during our discussion of the contract. I don't mind really it even sounds nice. Girlfriend. Noah's girlfriend.

I like it but I don't tell him that.
                                    —

Walking through the open doors I admire the restaurant. We came to meet someone who Noah is looking to invest in.

Everything is so lavish and expensive. Gold intricates decorate the entrance and beautiful green plants litter around purifying the air, the workers are dressed in a white blouse and black suits. Soft music plays and people tred in after us ready to eat no doubt famished from work.

Noah's hand on my back startles me and I turn around to make sure it's truly him and I relax when I see it is. He sends me an apologetic smile for scaring me but I lean into his touch to show him that it's ok.

He walks us forward to the young teen at the front desk who types away on his laptop. He looks up and straightens staring at me.

"Good afternoon sir, miss" he says.

"Afternoon" I say waving at him with a soft smile. Noah stares at the boy like he annoys him.

"Prescott" is all he says and the boy stares at him blinking before realising what he means and types away again, he calls someone on the phone and gets up gesturing to us to follow him. We walk past tables and I watch from the corner of my how some people stare at me.

Some greet Noah and he gives them a simple nod and others stare at me probably wondering who I am and I instantly turn self conscious. I look nothing like these people in their expensive suits and fancy cocktail dresses.