Chapter 4

Phoebe's POV

Zoe was already in her seat with her writing piece in front of her when I walked into the English the next day.

"Hey, did you go to athletics day yesterday?" she asked

"Nope, I did other shit," I said using all my self-control not to yell at her.

I snap at pretty much everyone. I have a temper; everyone in my family does so Ryan calls it the Evan's Temper. My Father definitely has it, my Mother not so much and my sister took class to control it. I don't talk to many people so I don't really care and when I came talking it is usually to yell at them.

I can easily talk to Ryan without snapping but sometimes it all boils over and I do but he understands. My therapist that Mother forces me to go to tells me that it is a defence mechanism to shut everyone out but I think it is just because I can't be bother talking to anyone.

"I want you to each read one paragraph of your comparison. Phoebe how about you start?" Mr Johnson smiled at me.

Of course he picked me. All teachers hate me because I don't listen but easily pass the classes. I stood up the front and looked out at the class.

"I am paired with Zoe Edwards and it is pretty obvious that we are very different. The first thing that I compared was our answers to the question about what colour the sky is. She answered blue and I answered black. This immediately shows a difference in the way that we think. I see the darkness and she sees the light. I believe that this links into some of our other answers. She had more positive answers and I had more negative answers and that is reflected in our view of the sky," I said and sat down.

I dozed through the rest of the speakers. I didn't even listen to what Zoe had to say about our answers. I dozed through the rest of the day as well barely listening to anyone. Ryan was already in the car by the time I got out. He knew that I had had a bad day so he left it. The door was open to the house when we walked in and my Mother was sitting with her back to us at the bench.

She had her bleach blonde hair pulled into a bun. She had a navy jacket hanging over the seat back that matched the tight fitted skirt. She had a pale peach blouse and diamond earrings. When she turned around I saw a matching necklace hanging around her neck.

"Phoebe, how nice to see you again," she said in a clipped tone.

"I can't say the same for you," I snapped.

"I see you haven't got rid of Ryan like I said you should," she smirked at him.

My whole family hates Ryan except for me. All the maids and help around the place love him though because he is really nice.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"I am going to one of the fancy dances with Margaret tonight and you are coming," she said and left.

The only time that time Mother ever wants anything to do with me is when there is a dance ball thing on. She gets me invited so that she can come and sometimes bring Margaret. It means that while my two bitchy relatives get to talk to people like them I have to pretend to be nice to people from my school that don't know who I am at these dances.

I only introduce myself as Phoebe and they don't quite have enough brain cells to put it together. There is one guy there that is kinda nice to me to me but this girlfriend is a complete bitch. I vaguely know of him at school but he still hasn't put it together who I am. Lots of the guys there are part of the track team because it makes them more popular and he is included in that lot.

Mother had laid out what she required for me to wear. It was a floor length pale pink colour. The top is mostly lace with gold in it. The skirt is relatively straight and made of silk and a slightly darker pink. She has placed 3 inch heeled shoes that match the skirt.