Chapter 1

Zoe’s POV

I stood in front of the school. My family kept moving around so I was up to my fifth school in three years. My Mother promised that I would be able to stay here for the rest of my senior year but I don’t believe her. A girl walked up to me. She has dark hair and green eyes. She wore a plain grey sweater and jeans with sneakers. She must have been expecting me because I’m guessing not many people start school in October.

“Hello, my name is Olivia,” she smiled.

“Hi, I’m Zoe,” I said.

“I’m part of the student council and I am here to show you round for the day,” she said warmly and lead me inside.

In the matters of minutes she had shown me the office, gathered my timetable and now we are currently standing in front of my locker. I heard the sound of boots echo down the corridor and I noticed that everyone was stepping backwards, leaning against the lockers. I stood frozen as a girl came walking down the corridor.

She has long chestnut hair that is pulled back into a ponytail that was tied around the middle of her head. Even though it was pulled back it still came down to her waist. She wore a black hoodie, navy skinny jeans and knee high black boots. Olivia grabbed my arms and pulled me back against the lockers. I notice that girl roll her eyes as she walks past.

“Who is that?” I asked once the footsteps were gone.

“That’s Phoebe Evans. She doesn’t talk to anyone. We all avoid her because her parents are CEOs of big companies. She spends her whole life texting in class but she is smart so the teachers don’t care,” Olivia explained.

“Oh, is she really bitchy?” I asked.

“I don’t know, she doesn’t talk much and she has someone come and pick her up. No one knows anything else about her.”

They bell rang and Olivia lead me to our first class which is English. Phoebe was the only one in there sitting in the back row. Olivia sat down right in the front and I sat beside her.

 Our English teacher, Mr Johnson seems really nice and he let us talk for a few minutes while he got organised.

“Does your school have a track and field team?” I asked Olivia.

“Yeah, they have training this afternoon and should let you in. What do you do?” she asked

“I’m a sprinter.”

“Cool, our school is crazy about athletics. Each school in the area hosts a meet and ours is in a few weeks and you should totally go.”

“Yeah, I haven’t had a competition for a while” I said as Mr Johnson silenced us.

“We are going to be in pairs now. I am going to assign them by last name and they will be for the whole year,” he said.