Chapter 15

The storage room was huge as was the rest of this house

          The storage room was huge as was the rest of this house. When the lights flickered on I knew just by the look of it that I'd need to do some digging. In our village we had solar panels that controlled our electricity. We had an incident last year when during a particularly nasty storm that lasted half the week it knocked our power out for two days. When I started digging around the piles I found a red glass vase that I could put in the living room for fresh flowers every week. The red would bring good contrast to the blue couch since the walls were white and bare. 

I found a laundry basket which I felt might be useful and placed the vase in there. In the storage racks I found a shower curtain along with extra packets of sheets that I wouldn't take from them. One set of sheets was fine for me. There was a bunch of furniture but I didn't want to clutter the limited space I had in that cottage, but I did grab a discarded painting in its frame for one of the bare walls. 

Thank god I found curtains too. Enough for three windows but I figured I would keep Nealin Sr. door closed so that window being bare wouldn't be such an issue. 

There were some discarded books, and even though some looked dull I did grab a few promising ones I could decoratively add to the top of that bookshelf in the living room. I figured for now that was enough. As time went on I'd see what else I'd need. I considered a lamp since there was one sitting right in front of me but I wasn't sure yet and the laundry basket I had to carry back to the house was heavy enough.

          "Mira, wait" I heard Leslie call out to me after I surfaced from the storage room. "I got you a candle. Every home should have one, shouldn't they?" she asked, placing the candle that sat in its glass jar down into the basket. "Is that too heavy for you? Should I have one of the guys bring it over?" she asked. "No" I quickly blurted out, but caught myself. "Thank you, but I've got it covered. I appreciate this" I looked back down at the items in my hand which really were too heavy for me. I wouldn't let it show though. 

I just quickly exited the house and tried using my hip to help lighten the load. Halfway down the block I stopped for a moment to put the basket down and flex my fingers that had been digging themselves into the handle so as not to fall. "You need help?" I heard someone chuckle and froze. When I looked around I saw Declan, Jasper's younger brother, and sighed in relief. 

"Yes, yes I do," I laughed. He crossed the street and grabbed the basket. "Psh, weakling" he teased. Having lived in the Pack House I had lived with him too, so we knew each other but have never really hung out. He's 18 going on 19 so he was between Jasper and Grace. 

        "Where am I taking all this?" he asked, and I told him. "I was wondering why I hadn't seen you around the house," he nodded. On our short walk over we chatted about casual things and once we got to the front door I took a moment to unlock it. "Are you going to continue living here after Nealin gets back from training?" he wondered, walking in to put the basket down on the floor. "I don't know, it would be weird living with a stranger. A man nonetheless."