Chapter 6

Melanie's home was a quaint one

          Melanie's home was a quaint one. She lived with her parents in a two bedroom cottage since she was an only child. Because of this I would be sleeping with Mel in her room for a few nights. "Come on girl, drop your shit and let's go smoke" Melanie stated, taking dried sage from one of her many jars and crushing the leaves into a powder. Next was her mint. "Beyond the treeline?" I asked. "Yeah why?" she stopped her rolling to turn from her windows thick sill towards me. "Just asking, I'm lying low, remember." She waved me off and continued her task. 

"I can't believe I missed that whole scene last night. Would you be mad if I said I'm disappointed I couldn't be there" she smiled a sarcastic smile. I rolled my eyes at her. "It was awful. The town may not know about it yet but they probably will and I'm already in the spotlight here" I sighed. I had told Mel about my earlier conversation with the coffee girl, Emily too. 

"I mean yeah they dated but barely. Devran kept his options open if you know what I mean" she said, tucking the rolled herb behind her ear. She reapplied her red lipstick and smacked her lips together a few times before feeling satisfied with the look. "Diego seemed so fine with me. He questioned me but I figure that's his job" I muttered absentmindedly.

        "I know you don't want to hear this but I'm going to say it anyway. I think it would help if you were more open about your past and what led you to traveling alone through those mountain towns in the first place. Why you got brought here and how you came to stay. You wouldn't be such a mystery that way and their guard would be down. It's in their nature to be protective of their people and right now you are perceived as a threat" she said honestly. 

She was always blunt and I came to like that about her even if it was often directed at me and made me accountable for a lot. "I haven't even been that forthright with you and Jasper, nevermind these hostile strangers" I sighed, "it's not that I have anything dangerous to hide. I'm no threat. It's just uncomfortable truths about myself that I wanted to stay with human civilization. I didn't want to carry that here. Plus you'll all pity me and I couldn't stand that" I added.

     Melanie grabbed her signature shades and slid them on while tossing an arm around me and leading me outside. "Secrets don't make friends, babe" was all she said before dropping the subject entirely. Was I being dramatic about this? Should I have been upfront with my friends about it? I know Mel's intention wasn't to guilt me but I felt that guilt anyways. "I..Mel, I don't mean to be secretive" I finally said once we got into the woods. "I know" was all she said while lighting her herbs. 

"Well now I feel guilty like I'm still somehow a stranger to you all...If I, well if I told you and Jasper would you vouch for me to Devran?" She was quiet for a second just studying me before she split into a grin. "Of course we would." She mindlinked Jasper telling him to meet us at our spot which was really only a small clearing in the woods, and suddenly I was nervous. 

Really nervous, like hands shaking, pit in the stomach kind of nervous. I wanted to take it back, the offer to be more open with them, but when Jasper appeared and plopped down beside us I knew it was too late.