034. LOVERS ROCK

I blink with a shiver. The first thought that comes to my head is that: It's cold.

I turn over to almost clash noses with Grayson. I smile at him- even though he's fast asleep. Suddenly I'm not cold anymore. In fact, I don't think I've ever felt so warm and fuzzy as I do now.

It takes me a moment to realize that he hasn't woken up early like he usually does. Grayson should have been up hours ago considering it's already 7:30 in the morning- but he's not. As I stare at him, I see how tired he looks despite the fact he's sleeping. I see the dark circles under his fluttering eyelashes that only make him look more beautiful. I can't help but feel sorry for him. For how I've treated him the past few weeks after that night.

He's just lying here, on his stomach, arms wrapped around a pillow.  I've been staring at him for several minutes, at this point- but I can't tear my eyes off him no matter how hard I try.

He's usually up at five thirty. Sometimes earlier.

I worry that he might've missed a lot of important things by now. I have no idea if he has specific places to be today- or thing to do. I don't know if he's ruined his schedule by being asleep so late.

But I do know that I don't want to wake him.We were up very late last night.

The smile instantly vanishes off my face. Like a hurricane, everything comes flooding back to me and I almost can't take it. My mind practically goes blank when I realize that the rest of the family is arriving today- that includes Celeste, but that also includes my mother, Ms. Laughlin.

Just hearing the words in my head feels foreign— and it disgusts me. My mother, Mallory Laughlin. My grandparents— Mrs. and Mr. Laughlin. But a part of me knows that no matter what, she will never be my mother. My true mother will always be Sarah Rooney— and despite the fact that she's gone, and that she was never my biological mother, she will always be my mother in my heart. I don't think I'll ever get around to making a place in my heart for Ms. Laughlin.

I'm suddenly overwhelmed with the thought of talking to her today. Will I tell Alisa? The rest of the family? Will I confront Ms. Laughlin? In front of the whole family, or alone? What will they say? What will she say? I suppose I'll have to talk to Grayson and Jameson about it sometime before their arrival.

My focus turns back to the sleeping boy next to me.

I run my fingers down his back, his shoulders, which is bare. It's a good look for him. I touch his arms gently. Then I curl my body around his, rest my face against his back, my arms holding fast to his sides. I drop a kiss on his spine. I can feel him breathing, in and out, so evenly. So steadily.

Grayson shifts, just a little.

I sit up.

He rolls over slowly, still half asleep.

Uses the back of one fist to rub his eyes. Blinks several times. And then he sees me.

He smiles. It's a sleepy, sleepy smile and I can't help but smile back at him. I've never seen a sleepy Grayson before. Never woken up in his shirt. Never seen him be anything but awake and alert and sharp. He looks almost lazy right now- something I never would've thought I would've seen in my wildest dreams.

It's adorable.

He reaches out for me. I crawl into his arms and cling, and he holds me tight against him. Drops a kiss on the top of my head and it's so light against me. It's like we've loved each others since birth.

"Good morning," he whispers.

"Good morning, Grayson," I say quietly, smiling even though he can't see it.