003. WANT ME DEAD?

Skye's mad and drunk screaming woke me up. I rubbed my eyes. Throughout my however long sleep, I'd ruined the bed completely. Two out of the four pillows were strewn over the floor, and half the blanket had fallen on the floor, the other part of it somewhat covering my legs. I sat up, continuing on rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

I looked around, to see Grayson, who had a very fat book in his hands, however, had steered his eyes to me. The icy steel in his eyes was still there.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I seethed.

He shook his head. "You mean, what are you doing here? This is my room," he said coldly. The look in his eyes were cold, steel.

"Oh," I said, lowering my voice to a soft one. "I'll— I'll leave," I said, and I slowly staggered to the door.

Grayson beat me to it, but by the look in his eyes— cold, not warm, I knew that he wasn't here to open the door for me. Instead, he held the knob of the door behind him, trapping me in the room.

"Let me out," I said calmly.

When he did nothing, I felt fury pulsing through my veins again.

"Wait," he said, looking down at me, and I strained to look up at him again.

"Do you have no remorse?" he said.

That took me by surprise. He was just like the rest of his family.

"W-What?" I asked.

"I didn't stutter, Leah. Do you have no remorse for any of us?" I froze.

"And for god sake, Leah, I don't need your razor-sharp tongue right now. You recieved the whole inheritance. It was rightfully ours, it was..it was mine. And you— And you know that." His voice was short, stubby, curt. His teeth were grit tight.

My smile dropped.

"I don't know, Grayson. I'm sorry. I've never met your Grandfather, and I don't know why I received almost all the inheritance." I said softly. But the look he had on didn't leave, it was still there, issued like a threat.

"Have you seen my families state? They're all depressed, and back to drinking. My mother hasn't left her room at all." Grayson stared at and into me.

"Xander nearly blew himself up today. Jameson is one bad idea away from ruining his life, and none of us can leave the estate without being hounded by the press. And the property damage? Don't even think about it," he said with an exhale as he shook his head.

Say nothing, Leah. Say nothing. Turn around. Push yourself through the door, and get out of here.

I paused. "And what about me? I heard what Alisa said downstairs. I'll either be Cinderella, or Marie Antoinette. People out there—" I let out a shaky breath and for some reason, begin whispering. "Are going to try to kill me. So if you think this is easy for me, I say you get yourself together!"

That angered him. For sure. I know I shouldn't go around and becoming these peoples' nemesis', but I had no choice. Because Grayson Hawthorne was filled with condescension. And he needed to be put in his place.

"You want the money," he spit out bitterly. "How could you not? Growing up the way you did?"

I don't know what happened, because it all happened so fast. I'd slapped him across the face, as hard as I could. As soon as I did, I covered my mouth in shock.

There was a red mark on his cheek from how hard I'd hit him. But Grayson Davenport Hawthorne just looked more ruthless than before.

"You have no idea," Grayson said lowly, "how ill prepared you are. A girl like you?"