027. EMILY LAUGHLIN

The measuring tape slithered around my body and it almost tickled. I huff, my extended arms growing tired. 

"How much longer?" I moan. 

Alisa emerges out of her squatting position. "Just a few more minutes, Leah, be patient." 

"What is this even for?" I ask. 

"I already told you several times, Leah. Hawthorne House is hosting an auction. 

I frown. "Just 10 days after the trial? Why are we rushing through everything?" 

She huffs. "You don't get it. We have to do this because of the trial. Because of the sudden publicity we have now, a lot of people will want to come. We'll make more money that way." 

"So this is all a money making sham?" I sneer. 

She sucks her teeth slightly. "Well...that's a way to put it, I suppose, but it's more of a...resourceful idea." 

I roll my eyes as she lifts my arms into birds' wings. Jameson walks in just as I'm rolling my eyes at Alisa. 

"Jameson?" 

He looks at Alisa. "Yeah, uh, could I talk to Leah for a minute?" 

My heart is beating. 

Alisa looks at Jameson expectantly. "Well? Say it, then." 

Jameson grimaces. "Well uh, it's kind of private." 

Alisa shakes her head as she rolls her eyes. "Well fine. I suppose you're all done anyway. Dress will be done by noon. Be ready to be here at 1pm sharp.

I nod and collapse into a chair as she leaves the room. 

"Rough day?" Jameson asks me. 

I nod, blowing the hair out from my face. "What did you want to talk about?" 

He looked away from me, awkwardly. "Well, I think we should eventually talk about what happened a few nights ago."

That catches my attention. I lock eyes with him. "Yeah, yeah, I guess we should." 

After I say that, he suddenly looks a lot more relaxed. "It was an inconsequential deal, right?" 

I nod, convinced. "That's what I thought." 

He nods, smiling slightly. "Good, good, I just..wanted to make sure you knew that too." 

I nod awkwardly. "So are we good? I think Leslie wanted me to help her find something," I lie.

He nods. "Yeah. I think so. I'll walk you out." 

"So have you gotten your suit ready for tonight?" 

He clicks his tongue. "Yup." 

"You don't seem very excited." 

He looks down at me. "That's because I hate these parties. They're not my thing. More of Grayson's thing." 

I look down at my hands. "Yeah, I can tell." 

"Whatever happened between you two anyway?" 

I try to conceal my surprise. How does he know anything happened? "Nothing happened. Why?" 

He shrugs. "I don't know. You guys seem...tenser than usual. And suddenly Celeste is here? He hates Celeste. He's never liked Celeste." 

I look up at him, surprised, but a part of my heart feels lighter. "What? But they're so...touchy." I immediately think of them that night in the Observatory.