Chapter 40: What A Mess

Opal

The giant chuckles as I touch the short rope, fascinated. It is tough, thick, and rough, but harmless all at the same time. 

I look up as the giant looms over me, before he bends over and picks up the rope. 

Something inside me swells and rises, and before I even comprehend what I'm doing, my mouth wraps around one end of the rope, my fangs piercing it. 

Growling, I pull on the rope, tugging it. 

The giant smiles as he pulls back, and happiness washes through me. This is fun. 

We playfully fight for the rope, and my tail starts to wag the more we play. Finally, he gives in, and I fall back with the rope in my mouth, victoriously. 

I grin, the rope in my mouth. He smiles, shaking his head as I trot over to the pillow, dumping the rope on it. Mine now, people. 

I turn back to the room, my eyes looking for something else to enjoy and claim. 

Timult

I watch overjoyed as the Riofla sinks onto the nest of things he collected, enjoying and nuzzling the pillow. Among the pillow and rope, he gathered a few squishy balls, three or four blankets that covers him entirely, a few fluffy toy animals, and even a pair of socks. 

"Wow." Leah says behind me as she closes the door. I nod, feeling even happier as he starts to nod off, purrs escaping his chest and throat. 

"I bet you he's never played before. I thought bringing him here would help...can you believe we played tug-of-war? And now...all that stuff he has he won't give up. He nested. I'm really excited about that." I explain, and her eyes light up at the news. 

"That is so great, Timult! Oooh, you need to tell Dr. Kippe! He will be pleased to hear. Although...how are we going to move him and that nest without antagonizing him?" she mutters, scratching her head. 

I sigh, shrugging my shoulders. "He's fast asleep. Even if he wakes up, he'll be too droopy to fight much. I'll take care of him." I whisper as I scoop him up into my arms. 

He stirs before going limp against my chest, the faintest smile gracing his lips. 

I carry him out, and place him on the floor of his room before leaving to grab his nest. Once he is safe and sound on his nest again, I move to a chair and settle in it, watching the small boy get his sleep. 

Opal

I yawn as I open my eyes, a warm feeling in my chest. I jump a bit as I realize I'm in my room, but calm down when I feel my nest under and around me.