Chapter 36: Let It Begin

Aam

I grab a rope from Hitto after I place the werewolf on he floor in the middle of everyone. 

He plops to the ground in a heap of limbs, his whole body save for his neck, head, and face numb and unfeeling. 

He eyes us with hate as I rub the rope in my hands, before unraveling it and hitting the ground lightly in all in one strike. 

The shifter's eyes widen, and I purse my lips. The fact that he thinks we'll actually hurt him with the ropes is astounding. I lightly swat the floor again with the rope, the boy's eyes following its movements. 

I lift it, and swat the very soft end of the rope at his hip, eying the clock. The drug should be wearing off any second. 

The rope is specially made to train a shifter. Harmless to the creature, no matter how hard it is hit against the creature, it is the perfect training device. 

Shifters are unpredictable, which is why we train them a very certain way. Until they are completely docile and trained by the ropes, they aren't considered adoptable. 

The ends of the ropes are even softer, a material called lightwax. It cannot toughen, even when using kinetic energy, making it softer than a feather to the skin of a shifter, but alas, it burns any other creature, my kind included. 

Shifters, are made of tougher bodies than most, surprisingly. We Glimates may have tough skin...but in a different variety. In order for a body to shift between two beings, it has to be made of strong skin and bones. 

After a few minutes, the boy starts to move. First a twitch in the fingers. Then the tremble in the neck. 

He breathes in sharply as his body comes back to him, and I smile, resting the lightwax end on the ground. 

Meilith's team may oversee the shifter. But my team, much larger than any other glimate team, was trained specifically to train a shifter, including how to use lightwax in unimaginable ways, without burning ourselves or each other. 

Let it begin. 

Silas

I eye the ropes resting on the ground. Dark black, tough, and very painful-looking, Is it a sport to them to beat a shifter to death or something?

The ropes are long...longer than the beasts themselves, coiled around itself in at least three circles for the parts that touches the ground. 

I don't like this. I gasp as the last numbness in my chest finally seeps away, and slowly, I get on all fours, glaring at the ropes all around me. 

Before I allow them to be used on me, I shift, before bolting for the door. 

Something soft and light wraps around my back right ankle, and I yelp as I collide with the ground...or at least I do.