Chapter 2: Not A Fan...

Meilith

I watch from a distance as the new human surveys its temporary, but comfortable home.

"You'll never need or want ever again, little guy." I murmur to myself as it hesitantly turns towards the large nest and starts to crawl towards it.

It reaches the very top, and cautiously, pulls one of the stranded blankets on top of its tiny body.

"Meilith." Hrae mumbles from behind me, and I turn to confront her.

"Dr. Liomo said he'll look at the human in a few hours. Only drug him just enough that he'll be complacent, but no more." I nod at her words, smiling at the soft edge in her voice.

Humans are such cute and sweet things...if treated right. And we're going to make sure this one  finds a good home that'll take care of him the right way. 

As we do with all endangered pets.  

Jackus

I blink my eyes open to find myself in the same glass cage. I lick my lips at the sudden dry thirst coating my mouth, and glance at the tube.

Knowing I have no other option, I hesitantly stand and crawl out from the somehow warm and comfy nest.

I balk at how degrading this is but force my lips open to wrap around the pinched end of the tube.

I am not denied.

The water is cool, fresh, and even has a minty taste to it.

The best water I've ever tasted. I suck from the tube greedily until I've had my fill.

Then something happens.

My body sways as everything in my vision seems to spin a bit. I slump to the cold ground, whimpering at the lost use of my limbs.

I'm still awake, my body twitching here and there, but other than that, I am absolutely helpless.

My eyes widen as I notice two very recognizable creatures walk up and lift the lid to the cage. One of them leans in, and picks me up easily, twice my size.

It hits me then and there. The water was drugged.

Well damn these stupid smart things.  

Meilith

Thank goodness the human was so thirsty. Otherwise, we would have had to use sedative darts again. 

I hum a soft lullaby deep in my throat as I carry the creature down the hall. I make sure the sound vibrates against it soothingly to give some small form of comfort to the little thing.