Not Fast Enough

Hello!! Thank you all for all the votes, reads, and comments, it means the world!

This chapter is a bit.... Different, so be prepared for a change!

⚠️ TW: Mentions of blood, pain, and protective Hunter. ⚠️

"Omega!" I scream, barely slowing to slide through the fence. "Omega!"

She lets out a terrified scream, stumbling backwards as the creature starts to advance.

The predator snarls as I pull Omega behind me, yanking my blaster out of its holster. Shielding Omega, I point the barrel of the gun at the creatures head.

I don't have time to react as the creature swipes, it's claws piercing the skin of my forearm. I cry out, dropping the blaster.
Warm, sticky blood drips down my arm, and I press my hand to the wound.

"Delta!" I hear Hunter cry, and then he is next to me. As he steps in front of me, I see that he has a large Vibro-blade in his hand.

The beast snarls again, and Hunter strikes it, leaving a sizable wound.

There is blaster fire, and the creature stumbles backward, hissing and screeching.

"Go," Hunter says hurriedly, and I gently push Omega to where Cut was waiting. Omega steps through the fence, and I shakily follow after her.
    My adrenaline rush is coming to a close, and the pain in my arm has become more evident.

  "What where you thinking?" Hunter asks Omega harshly, turning to face the girl. "Delta was injured, and you could have been too!"

  I groan, a small flare of anger welling up in me as Omega's eyes fill with tears.

  "Hunter! She's just a child!" He freezes with a look of guilt. 

  "I'm sorry. I-I- I just wanted to get the ball... I'm sorry—" she stutters, a sob in her voice.
Cut gently scoops up Omega, and she buries her head into his shoulder, her tears seeping into his shirt.

  "Please, take care of her Cut." I say, stepping forward.

   He looks at me, a frown on his face.
   "I will....Might want to address that wound, Del."

  I pull back my hand, and it is dripping with warm blood. 

  "Have have bandages in the kitchen." Su says quickly, leading me back to the house.

Hunter's POV:

I wasn't fast enough.

Now, I regret it.

I gently wrap Delta's forearm, where there are now four jagged marks.
They will scar.
We are in the kitchen, with her sitting on the table.

I sigh, gently pinning the bandage into place.

"There you go." She inspects my work, smiling at me.

"Good Job!"

I nod, observing her. Her long brown hair is tangled, and there is mud and sweat along her forehead. She looks beat up, to be honest.

  Against my better judgement, I reach out my hand, gently sliding stray hair behind her ear.

"Why the scull?" She asks, tilting her head to observe my face. It takes me a moment to realize she is referring to my Tattoo.

I shrug, crossing my arms across my chest.

"It's the like the symbol of our group, so to speak."

She smiles.

"I like it. It suits you." I nod again, not quite sure how to act around her.
     "I should go find Omega." She says, slipping off the table.

  "Do you want me to come?" I ask, touching her shoulder. She smiles at the contact, placing her hand on mine.

  "I'll be fine. And, I don't think she's ready to face you yet." I frown, but nod all the same.

She steps out the door, nodding to Cut as he joins me.

"Your girl is brave, you know that?" He says, leaning against the doorframe.

I don't bother to correct him.
"She is."

****

That was a really short chapter..

I'm low on inspiration juice.

Anyways, thank you for reading! I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

-Kena