Genetically defective

"Out of my way." I spit, shoving past the reg next to me and kneeling besides Echo, ignoring the crowd of soldiers. After running a quick exam, I find that his pulse is pretty steady: he was just knocked unconscious.

  Meanwhile, Tech is holding back an furious Crosshair, who is threatening to beat the clone senseless.

Hunter stands next to be, observing my motions.
    "He is stable. I would like to run some test." I say to him, looking up to meet his gaze. There is something I can't place in his eyes— maybe, gratitude?

  The Sargent nods, turning to his brother.
      "Wrecker, help Delta carry Echo to the Infantry." Wrecker nods without hesitation, picking Echo up bridal style. I stabilize his head before gently placing it on Wrecker's shoulder.

  "Head to the medical bay 2-1-9-17. It's just down the hall." Wrecker nods, slowly and carefully carrying Echo out the door.

  As I am about to call out to Omega she appears next to me, grasping my hand. I quietly lead her out into the Hallway after Wrecker, with Hunter and Tech dragging a still cursing Crosshair behind us.

"Behave." Hunter snaps, letting go of his brother. Crosshair huffs, crossing his arms across his chest.

Omega tugs on my hand, and I look down at her.

"Was that my fault? I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt."

I want to say yes, but I have to remember that she is just a kid, exploring the world for the first time.

"I mean, I shouldn't have argued with the soldier, love. But you shouldn't have thrown food at him. So yes, I guess the fight was our fault." She looks down at the ground ashamed.
"But," she looks up at me again. "It was not your fault that Echo got hit on the head. Turn here, Wrecker!"

The small clinic had eight beds, only two being occupied.

"Place him on that bed." I say, pointing. "I have some tests we should run." Wrecker follows my command, gingerly setting Echo down.

"I would recommend testing for a concussion." Tech says, typing into a holo-pad. "Although, by my calculations, he should only have been knocked unconscious." I nod, logging into the Computer and summoning AZI-3.
Omega sits down next to Echo, her eyes searching his face.
"He will be okay, right Delta?"

"Yes, love. He will be fine."

**** (time skip, cause we love those here,)

There is a small beep as AZI starts his scan on Echo, the blue light causing eerie shadows on the clone's face.

The Batch had left a while ago, leaving Omega and I in the room.

I quietly sigh, tapping my foot as I watch the droid do his work. My com link flashes, and I quickly answer it.

  "Nala Se?"

   "Delta. Why have you not returned?"

  " i'm, uh, doing something with Omega."

  "What is your location?" I spare a glance at Omega, who is staring at me wide-eyed.
   "We are in medical bay 2-1-9-17–."
   "Return to my office immediately." There is a quiet buzz as she turns her comlink off, and I huff.

  "So uncivilized."

  "Oh, Delta! We're not leaving him, are we?" I shake my head, crossing my arms.

  "Of course not. We will stay here until he awakes."  It's a dangerous game I am playing, basically flirting with trouble. Directly disobeying Nala Se is not a wise decision.

AZI stops his work, looking up at Omega. "If Nala Se has summoned you, you must obey."  I notice Echo's hand twitch, and I take a step closer to him.

  "No, AZI. I'm staying here until he wakes." Echo's eyes slowly flutter open, and I move to the side of the bed.

"Where—" His big brown eyes instantly fill with terror, and he sits up at the speed of light, frantically waving his arms around. "Get 'em off!"

  I grab AZI, shoving him behind me.
   "Hey, hey it's okay." Omega says kindly, placing a hand on his arm. "I don't like being hooked up to their machines either."

  The little medical droid floats in front of me and begins his programmed greeting.
  "Greetings, CT-1409."
I pinch the bridge of my nose. "His name is Echo."
AZI, of course, ignores me.

   "I am AZI-345211896246498721347, your assigned medical droid." He does a little spin, and I see the hint of a smile on Omega's face.

   I roll my eyes, fighting back a smile as I move back to the computer. Before I reach it, the wide doors open, and the Bad Batch enters.

   "Welcome back, boys!" I say, smiling at them. Wrecker returns my smile, before his eyes move to Echo.

  "Ha! I told you he's alive!" He points at Crosshair. "You owe me two credits."

AZI floats in front of the group, his sliver head catching the light. "CT-1409's condition is stable. But I have some alarming news for the rest of you."
He pauses before continuing. "You are all... Genetically Defective Clones." I groan.

  "Get out of here, AZI!" I scold, pointing at the door.

   "I will leave you to process this shocking information." The droid chirps, before turning and leaving the room.

  "Don't worry about it, Delta." Tech says to me. "We are more deviant then we are defective."
   "We have a problem." Echo cuts in. "Admiral Tarkin is here."

   "The same Tarkin from when— how do I state this?"

  "Blew up!" Wrecker finishes.

"And turned into that." Crosshair says, pointing at Echo with his toothpick. I scowl, finding my distaste for this clone growing.  Echo, though, doesn't seem bothered by his cross manner and continues.

  "Yes," he sighs. "He's here to evaluate the Clones."

  "Hopefully it's not mental," Tech states. "We'd never pass that."

My comlink buzzes again, and I groan.

"We have to go, boys." I say, reaching my hand out to take Omega's. I nod at Hunter. "Stay safe."

  He nods. "Thank you."

I gently pull Omega through the door, mentally preparing myself for the scolding that was sure to follow.

Hello, my friends!

   We just reached 100 Reads!! 🥳🥳🥳 I am so thankful for all of my readers who are willing to stay with me on my crazy journey of writing this Fanfic!!

Until we meet again!

-Kena

Question of the chapter.

Q: If you had to be stuck in a car with one Star Wars character for eight hours, who would you pick?

A: For me, probably Tech. I would have him do my homework.

(Also, word count, 1090!!!)