Chapter 16

Morning had hit the campsite with the light of the yellow sun rising over the horizon and shining down at the campsite as the birds started to chirp. Chase and Skye were still sleeping in their tent as the sun peaked out from the trees and into the polyester fabric tent. It eventually found its way through the German Shepherd's eyelids and informed him that the day was ready to begin. He yawned as he rubbed his eyes and glanced over to his left where Skye was sleeping and smiled warmly. It was a cute sight to see the cockapoo soundly asleep. He hated to ruin the moment but knew he had plans for the day. He gently nudged the sleeping cockapoo.

"Skye, wake up." The German shepherd said quietly as he nudged the cockapoo from her peaceful sleeping state. A smile started to form on Skye's face as she heard the German Shepherd's voice.

"Morning, handsome." She greeted flirtatiously as she slowly opened her eyes.

Chase giggled at Skye's greeting and played along. "Morning, beautiful."

Skye rose from her spot and stared at the German Shepherd.

"I see you've woken up before me." She pointed out

"Yeah. I just woke up." He responded.

"I see." She said as she stared at the ground.

Chase left the tent not long after and Skye followed right behind him. The two pups stood right beside each other as they examined the space before them. Chase stepped away from Skye a bit and examined the twigs and leaves that were scattered around the area. Skye on the other hand, thought about her decision about her and Chase being a thing. She had been thinking long and hard about the concept, but was still unsure of what would come out of it. Part of her mostly says 'yes' while the other half says 'no'. But after two days of thinking, it was clear that she made up her mind. She was ready to face head on what her heart wanted. Skye took a deep breath and glanced at the German Shepherd.

"Chase?" She called.

"Yeah?" The German Shepherd replied, turning his head towards the cockapoo.

Skye looked at the ground before continuing. "I've been thinking a lot and from what I can tell, you're about the most charming pup I've ever met." She started.

Chase blushed. "Uh, thanks, Skye."

"I also have been thinking about how I would feel if I was...with you."

"...You have?" Chase asked nervily.

"Yeah. What you said two days ago really shook me and it got me thinking about how I want to strengthen our bond and how I want to waste my time with you. It got me thinking about how much happiness you deserve in this world after all you've been through. I feel lucky to have someone like you in my life."

Chase's heart began to skip a beat and felt his tail start to wag excitedly and as he listened to what the cockapoo was saying. It was as if she was saying 'yes' to his question.

"Are you telling me that-"

"Yes, I want to be with you. I've made up my mind and I'm not changing it. I want this to work. I was just afraid that we'll go back to arguing. And it took some time for me to realize that we both know we'll have our arguments every now and then. But in the end, there's nothing in this world that'll make me change my mind about how I see the real you. What I'm trying to say is that, I like you too and I want to try and make this work." Skye finished passionately.

Chase's heart was now about to explode in exhilaration and his tail was now wagging uncontrollably.

"Are you serious? You better not be joking with me." He asked in excitement and disbelief.