Chapter 15

The day went beautifully for Chase and Skye as they both sat in the tent cuddling as they both happily chatted. They both stared into each other's eyes, knowing the endearment and desire they had being with their beloved company. As time went on, it was clear that Skye had made up her mind with being in a relationship with the pup she was former enemies with, soon to be her boyfriend. It was quite fun bonding together. It felt like time had stopped for them when they stared into each other's eyes. It was like they both found their key to happiness that they were waiting for so long. And that key was simply squandering their time with another living animal that was sitting right in front of them. It seemed like everything had fallen into place and nothing could take it away. They secretly thanked Ryder for it too. If it wasn't for him losing his temper and making up this silly little vacation that he made up just because the two pups needed to make up. The plan did just that but better. Because of that, Chase and Skye were now two happy pups who had now discovered their hidden feelings for each other and embraced those feelings.

"Did you see Rocky's new invention lately? I heard he's gonna try it out sooner or later." Skye asked.

"I don't think I have. I'll have to go look when he brings it out again." Chase replied. Soon all was quiet. That was until Skye asked Chase a question.

"Chase, why do people hate?" Skye asked him curiously. Chase thought for a brief moment.

"Good question, Skye. I've been asking myself that for some time now. But I believe it's cut down for several reasons. We hate because of what's unfair, we hate because we're insecure, we hate because of the lack of trust we have in people, the list goes on. You see, hate is something that will never fade in our lives. No matter what we do, it's still gonna be here whether we like it or not. We might hate someone just because they mistreated us or they said something that offended us. It's something that we feel every day. Hate is there just so we can focus on the negative side of someone instead of what's going on in our lives. We do it because we don't want to take responsibility for what goes on in our lives so we start blaming someone else for it. Hate is a virus that gets passed around so easily that we get manipulated into giving in to the virus. It's a terrible virus and you shouldn't let it take over your life." Chase replied sagaciously.

"Like us?" The cockapoo asked.

"Yeah," The German Shepherd sheepishly avoided eye contact. "Like us."

"But why?"

"Because we don't have anything else better to do than tell someone that we don't appreciate what they're doing and rub it in their face."

"But why though?"

"I don't know, Skye. It seems like we've always been this way and I doubt we'll ever come to an end."

"Oh."

The cockapoo looked down sadly but soon her eyes perked back up at the German Shepherd.

"Chase, why do people get married?"

Chase thought for another brief moment and smiled.

"Simple. It's a way to show that you and your significant other are ready to start a new life together. It's a huge step in a romantic relationship that two individuals have to commit to. People get married because they simply can't live without each other."

"Oh." Said the cockapoo slowly as she stared up at the German Shepherd.

The two pups exchanged dreamy looks as they stared into each other's eyes. They were so fixed into their love trance that neither pup knew that their muzzles were inches apart from touching. Their lips were about to touch but were stopped by the cockapoo speaking up.

"Chase, why do we fall in love?"

Chase took yet another brief moment to think of an answer.

"Well, we fall in love because of a lot of things. Whether it be similarities, compatibility, the physical appearance of someone, or just as weird as it sounds, no reason at all. I could go on about how I fell in love with my first girlfriend but we'd be here staying up past midnight." He replied before nuzzling the top of the cockapoo's head.

"How do you know so much? Did Ryder tell you?"

Chase fell silent. "A broken heart can teach you everything you need to know about life. Back when I was dating my first girlfriend, I thought I had already figured myself out. But then, tragedy struck and I found her sleeping with another German Shepherd. I cried my eyes out for a week straight. I soon met Lexi, who would later become my second girlfriend as you already know. Everything was fine the first few months, until I found her cheating on me with yet another German Shepherd. I was devastated to find out that she'd done the same thing that my first girlfriend did not long ago. After some time, I eventually got over it and told myself that I would never fall in love again. And we both know how that story went. I stuck to what I said until the past events that happened this week, which was me finding out that I liked you...for a second time."

"A second time?" Skye asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Let's say I happened to develop a crush on you when you first joined the team when I was still in a relationship with my second girlfriend." The German Shepherd admitted.

"You were with Lexi when we first met?"

"Yeah. I was contemplating on leaving her for you and I should've taken the chance, but I didn't. The ending would've been much smoother if I'd acted sooner." He said sadly.

Skye could hear the disappointment in the German Shepherd's tone and nuzzled him.

"It's alright. It happens. We all go through it one time or another. I've gone through it. I've had plenty of guys that rejected me."

Chase's ears perked up at that last sentence. "You? Rejected? I don't see how anyone could reject someone like you. You're beautiful, optimistic, cute, and everything else a pup could ask for."

A tint of red grew on Skye's cheeks. "Thanks, Chase. That's sweet of you." She said as she nuzzled his chest.

It was soon dark and the pups got ready for bedtime. The pups laid down beside each other and got comfortable. That was until Skye spoke up.

"Chase, can we cuddle?"

"Skye, we cuddled last night." The German Shepherd replied.

"But I want to do it again."

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"Okay. Fine. Come here." He said as Skye scooted her way towards Chase, embracing his warmth.

"Goodnight." Chase said, closing his eyes.

"Goodnight, handsome." The cockapoo responded.

Chase quickly opened his eyes and stared at the cockapoo suspiciously. "What did you say?"

"I said goodnight."

Chase paused for a moment. "Huh, I could've sworn you called me handsome."

"That's because I did. Goodnight, handsome." She said as she gave the German Shepherd a peck on the cheek, which left Chase in a blushing mess.

"Uh, goodnight."

Silence filled the night as Chase wrapped his arms around the cockapoo as they both fell soundly asleep, awaiting for the next day to arrive.