Chapter 13

Skye was taken aback by his answer. Sure she may have joked about him liking her more than a friend and they both knew the truth but this was reality. It couldn't get any more real than this.

'He had been liking me after all this time? I must be dreaming.' She thought to herself.

"Y-you like me?" She asked, quite shocked.

Chase couldn't help but spill.

"Yes. I wish I was lying. I wish I was lying about how the sight of you gives me butterflies in my stomach. I wish I was lying about how beautiful you are. I wish I was lying about how you've got the most prettiest eyes I've ever seen. I wish I was lying about how you always seem to make my day ten times better. I wish I was lying about how I wanna hold you right now, but I'm not. I like you, Skye." he said in anguish and sorrow.

Skye didn't know what to say. She had to admit that she had been thinking about the German Shepherd possibly ever since the vacation just started after that little incident and couldn't stop. Chase was handsome, she had to give him that, but she wouldn't dare date the German Shepherd knowing the hatred she had for him, or at least that's what she thought.

"And how long have you been feeling this way?" She asked curiously.

"Since you took off with my mp3 player the other day." Chase replied bluntly yet sheepishly. "So what do you say?"

Skye had a troubled look on her face. "...I don't know."

"I don't blame you. I don't know either."

After a few minutes of sitting there in silence, the two pups thought it was time for bed. The two pups got inside the tent and got comfortable. The two pups laid down and tried to fall asleep but they couldn't. The last few minutes of what happened wouldn't stop replaying in their heads. Chase tried to close his eyes but it was no use. Skye had the same issue. She laid there motionlessly just in case Chase was still awake. Another few minutes of silence passed when eventually Chase spoke up in a husky voice.

"I'm sorry."

This startled Skye and looked over to him.

"What?"

"I'm sorry." he repeated the sentence in the same husky voice.

"For what?" She asked, turning around to face him.

"For everything." He answered. It was clear that his voice was breaking.

Skye kept her eyes on the German Shepherd as he continued to apologize.

"For everything that led us up to this point. From that little prank I did back in Adventure Bay to me physically hurting you. It's something that can't be undone. From what I've experienced, I don't deserve to have you." The German Shepherd told her.

"What are you trying to say?" Skye questioned him, tilting her head.

Chase got up and faced her and what Skye saw was truly heartbreaking. Tears were running down the German Shepherd's face and he was clearly guilty, telling from the tone of his voice.

"I'm trying to say that I'm sorry!" He started. "I'm sorry for all those years I was rude to you! I'm sorry for all the times I called you a sorry excuse of a pup! I'm sorry for all the times I called you stupid! I'm sorry about calling you a hopeless case! I'm sorry about how much of an asshole I was to you for no apparent reason! I'm sorry about how immature I was towards you! I'm sorry about all those pranks I pulled on you in the past! I'm sorry about not noticing how wrong I was about you! Please, Skye, I take it all back!" He sobbed into his paws, begging for forgiveness.

Skye couldn't bear to see the German Shepherd in such a mess. She gently patted the German Shepherd's head as he continued to pour his heart out and ask all the forgiveness he could ask for. The cockapoo put a paw on the German Shepherd's mouth and thought it was her turn to apologize.

"Hey, it's alright," She said calmly. "I'm sorry too. For, you know, calling you a dumbass and stuff."

Chase removed Skye's paw on his mouth. "You were right! I WAS a dumbass and still am!" He protested as tears began to fall onto his paws.

"No, I'm the dumbass. If it wasn't for me starting the argument back at the lookout this wouldn't have happened." She told him, tears starting to form in her eyes.

"I'm the dumbass!"

"I'M the dumbass!" She said, her voice was starting to break. "This wouldn't have happened if I kept my mouth shut in that game of catch and blamed Marshall instead of you! I should've just let that little incident slide for god sakes! It's my fault because I let myself put the blame on you so many times. I was so immature that I couldn't take all the blame myself. I was too snooty to say the least! But now we're here because of a little mistake that wasn't even our fault. I'm the dumbass here!" Skye weeped as she cried into the German Shepherd's chest.

"It doesn't matter. We're both dumbasses whether we come to a conclusion or not." Chase pointed out.

"I wish I never hated you from the start."

"I wish I never thought of rubbing cake in your face as a joke."

"I wish I wasn't so hypersensitive."

"I wish I was coolheaded like the others."

"I wish I was never toxic towards you."

The two pups shedded tears for a few minutes until they calmed down.

"Can we start over? A friendship that isn't too hateful? I'd love to have a brand new start where we can see each other as friends...or something more than that." Chase asked with tears in his eyes and still holding the cockapoo in his arms.

Skye lifted her head up and gazed up at the German Shepherd and thought before looking him into his eyes.

"I'd like that. But what if we forget that we made up and go back to our original feud?" Skye asked with a worried look on her face.

Chase thought for a brief moment before coming up with an answer. "If you notice me being rude to you, you can slap me in the face if you like. Deal?"

"Deal." Skye sniffed.

Then the two pups laid back down and got comfortable.

"Goodnight." Chase said.

"Goodnight." Skye replied.

After a few seconds of laying there, Skye still couldn't fall asleep.

"Chase?" She spoke up.

"Huh?" Chase replied.

"Can I cuddle with you?"

The question left Chase in a blushing mess. "Uhh."

"Only if you want to." Skye corrected herself.

Chase rolled his eyes and scoffed. "Fine. But only for tonight." He said bluntly.

Then Skye scooted her way into Chase's arms, embracing Chase's warmth.

"Goodnight, Chase."

"Goodnight."

Then the two pups fell soundly asleep, looking forward to a new start of a new friendship. Or should I say relationship?