Chapter 37: Elle

A thick tension traveled through the air. This battle seemed almost unfair given that it was five against one. Elle had to remind herself that Deidre was a highly trained witch. Even if numbers made this unfair, she was probably more powerful than all of them. Even with their powers linked. 

"Well," said Deidre. "I guess this is me accepting your challenge!" 

Deidre raised her arms and 10 glowing red arrows appeared out of thin air in front of her. She pulled one of her arms back like she was stringing a bow and then released her arm sending the arrows forward. Judah threw up a forcefield at the last second and Elle felt relief as she watched the arrows bounce off. 

"Oh please," Selena said. 

Lightning started to strike the ground from the sky. It lashed at the ground from every direction and Elle watched in horror as Deidre simply stepped to the side with every bolt that landed in front of her. She smiled as she did so, and Elle watched as she looked to be whispering something underneath her white hood. 

Deidre reached out and grabbed one of the bolts of lightning from the air and laughed. She threw it at the group once again and Judah threw up another forcefield. This time it barely blocked Deidre's attack. 

Elle lifted her leg and stomped it into the ground. The earth began to crack, and slowly, a fissure began to form heading directly toward Deidre. The longer the crack got, the quicker it moved, and Deidre barely moved out of the way before falling into the hole. The fissure continued past Deidre and traveled up the wall of the castle sending a giant crack up the wall. 

"Enough games," Deidre said.

The gem on her head glowed, and Elle gasped as ten dark purple portals opened around Deidre. Harpies filed through the portals and instantly went into attack mode sending their auras toward the group as they hid behind Judah's forcefield. 

"We have to fight," said Elle. 

"We linked powers," said Jayden. "If we can't fight them now we'll never be able to." 

Judah let his forcefield down, and Jayden lifted his hands and zombie warriors appeared once again. Jayden opened his mouth to instruct them when fire rained down on them and they disappeared into nothing. Deidre let out a cackle as she held a tiny fireball in her hand. 

"Looks like we're doing this the old-fashioned way," said Selena. 

Asher's eyes turned blue and he started forming giant water bubbles. Elle watched as he made it grow to the size of a large beach ball before sending it to the Harpie and wrapping it around their head. The Harpie grasped at their neck but they were unable to get out of the water Asher had constructed and turned to dust on the ground. 

Elle turned just in time to see a Harpie letting its aura creep toward her. She could hear her mother's voice faintly in her ear before she jumped over the smokey tendril and lifted her arms sending multiple vines to grab either side of the Harpies body. She flicked her hands apart and watched the Harpie scream as it was pulled from two separate sides, until eventually, just like the one Asher killed, it disintegrated into dust. 

Elle set her sights on Deidre who stood at the back of the battle. She cackled in delight as she watched the Harpies attack them. Elle ran straight down the line of the fissure and whisked her hand upward to cause a tree to grow right where Deidre was standing. She managed to step aside last minute but glared at Elle and mumbled something under her breath. 

Blackness started to surround Elle, and panic was setting in. She didn't know what Deidre was doing, but the last time she was in this black space, Elora had to save her before Deidre brought her to Gedeon. She looked at Deidre one last time as the blackness surrounded her. Right before the last of the hole closed a jet of water shot at Deidre from nowhere.