Chapter 21: Selena

Dark grey fog swirled around Selena's feet. It rose into the air and blocked her vision to the point where she couldn't see her hand in front of her face. She was paralyzed with fear, and she couldn't bring herself to move an inch. 

"HELP!" Selena called out into the darkness.

An echo sounded from all different directions, and Selena sunk to her knees. What did they mean they placed us in the deepest part of our minds? This is a dark and foggy mess. She couldn't be this broken. 

She laid olaye ground and curled into a fetal position. This wasn't fair. How could she do this by herself? She can't even see in front of her, but she is supposed to save her old memory? She wasn't strong. Her old boyfriend taught her that. She wasn't even special anymore, her dad losing their family's wealth showed her that. 

Selena was just one big loser. One super-powered loser who was going ie. Whether it was in the deepest part of her mind or in the gasium of her podunk high school. 

I wish Aria were here. The fog grew colder as it wrapped its whispy mist around her body. She would know what to do. 

She began to hum a melody that Aria, their mother, and Selena would sing to themselves at night when they were being tucked in. She cried at the simplicity of those days. Her only worry was what she was going to wear to school the next day, and if she studied hard enough for the difficult science test her elementary school gave out.

"Jesus you're pathetic," Selena said to herself from the ground. 

"Titus?!" screamed a younger female voice. "Titus is that you?!" 

Selena froze. She recognized that voice. It was hers when she was younger. She bit down her lower lip and felt her heart speed up. What kind of sick twisted game were the guardians playing? Who was this Selena remake that is talking to her? 

"Hello?" Selena called out into the fog again. This time louder, but hoping that the girl she heard talking was merely an illusion. 

"Titus?!" screamed the girl excitedly. "Titus is that you?! It's been so long since I've heard anyone!" 

Selena could hear the girl choking up as she talked into the fog. Selena unhooked her legs and stood up. When she was no longer paralyzed with fear of moving, she was terrified of what she was going to find. She didn't want to go see something disturbing when she finds the girl. She doesn't know what memories will be unlocked, what hurts or damage she had taken back then. She was already shouldering enough of those burdens with the life that she lived now. 

"Please say something else!" the girl pleaded with the fog. 

She just knew she couldn't leave that girl there. Not after she heard the desperation in her voice.

"Where are you?" Selena called to her. "I can't see a thing."

She stood up from the ground and took a step forward, and a vision lept out of the fog. She was standing in a room with a large rounded couch dugout in the middle. It had red cushions and board games all over the floor.  A younger version of Judah sat next to her on the couch. They had to be at least 12. He pushed her gently and bit an apple that he had in his hand. "Titus, you're a mess!" she said leaning forward and givikissing himthe cheek. 

The vision disappeared and Selena took another step forward. 

This time she was standing in a room with Elle. They couldn't have been more than 10 years old. They were standing by the window, and Elle was having plants grow tall enough to pick by the window, and then dropping the pieces she grabbed in a pot. "I don't want to hurt her," young Selena whispered staring at the door in fear. "I just want to teach her a lesson for stealing my doll."