Chapter 12: Elle

"There's nowhere you can run, children!" Gedeon laughed from his mirror. "I will find you! I will always find you!"

    Elle ran as fast as her legs could carry her. Knowing there was an evil bad guy was one thing; seeing him in person, though, added a whole new level to this shit show they're currently in.

    Having random dark creatures chasing after you? Even shittier.

    Come on, powers. Elle thought as she almost tripped over a forgotten beer bottle. Go grass! Flower power? Ugh, this isn't working!

    She threw her hands into the air, defeated as they made their way from the beach to the parking lot. There, in the corner towards the exit, sat her car. She fumbled in her pocket for her keys.

    "Go to the car!" she screamed, pulling the keychain from her pocket. She turned around, and the creepy black creatures were hot on their trail. They outstretched their hands and nearly grabbed Elle's hair as she clicked the button furiously to unlock her car door. "Jump in!" she shouted.

    Heart pounding, Elle ran to the driver's side door and threw it open. Asher climbed in the front seat next to her while Jayden, Judah, and Selena piled into the back. She locked the doors, threw the key into the ignition, and slammed the gears in reverse, but then stopped.

    "What is going on?!" yelled Asher. "Get this thing moving, Elle!"

    "It's quiet," Judah whispered. "Too quiet."

    Elle could hear the blood rushing in her ears as she turned slowly to look out her back window. She fully expected to see a black creature standing behind her car, but when she finally worked the courage to look behind her, it was gone. Elle's heart lifted, and she could feel her pulse start to slow as she looked at the others.

    "That was close-"

    "WATCH OUT!" cried Jayden

    Elle screamed as one of the black creatures slammed on top of her hood. Its faceless body was even scarier up close. Its skin looked almost scale-like as it punched her windshield over and over.

    Only moments after, another creature crashed through the window in the back. It reached in and grabbed Selena by the hair. She screamed in pain as the creature lifted her from the seat with surprising strength. Judah and Jayden held onto her, and Asher looked at Elle in rage.

    "GET THIS BITCH MOVING NOW!" he screamed.

    Elle was paralyzed as the creature continued to punch her windshield right in front of where she was sitting. Its black aura was leaking out of its body and seeping through the car. It engulfed her, and she felt all movement in her body shut down as she watched the faceless creature stare into her eyes.

    Don't move, Elouise.

    Her mother's voice played in her head. She began to hyperventilate as the creature's face slowly started to morph into her mother's. The same harsh eyes and perfectly applied makeup bore into Elle's soul as she sat in the driver's seat.

    You've already messed this up enough, you little bitch! Her mother screamed at her in her head, and Elle covered her ears. The voice only got louder, and her mind started to feel as if she had no control over it anymore. Elouise! Get your hands out of your hair and act like a lady!

    "I SAID MOVE!" Asher screamed as he slammed his hand down on her thigh. Her foot hit the gas, and the car jolted with a hard bump as one of the Veins was run over. The creature that bore her mother's face stopped punching, and Elle was able to see it for what it truly was again. She flashed her brights, and the creature covered its face as it disappeared in black smoke. Selena sobbed into Judah's chest in the backseat as Elle put the car in drive and sped through the exit.