Chapter 36: Judah

"Surprise them," Judah said quickly as the men approached the cottage. "Hide first!"

Judah ran to the workbench and squeezed into the corner. He watched as Asher ran to hide behind a chair against the wall. Selena and Elle went under the bed. Jayden stood in the middle of the room panicking. He looked around the room and frowned. "Do you really think my six foot two ass is hiding anywhere in here?"

Four men burst through the door and smiled as they saw Jayden standing there. They were portly men with black veiny tattoos sprawled across their faces. Their eyes circled with intricate designs. Their black armor glistened sinisterly in the moonlight. The only different metal on their armor was the silver sword that they had extended in front of them.

"Well, well, well," said one of the men as he took a step forward. "Looks like we found one of the little troublemakers."

His teeth were disgustingly yellow. It looked as if he had never cleaned his teeth in his life. Judah couldn't imagine his friends had any better oral hygiene. He felt sorry for Jayden as the man crept closer to him. Judah didn't want to even imagine the smell.

"Don't be scared little man," said The Vein soldier. "We won't hurt you much."

Jayden raised his hand and four zombie warriors appeared out of the ground. Without receiving any instruction they immediately began to attack the soldiers Gedeon sent after them. The men combatted the zombies and Jayden put distance between him and the fight. When he reached the workbench Judah popped up from under it. The men were so distracted fighting the zombies that they didn't notice him.

"I think this will benefit us," Judah said as he placed a forcefield around the fighting parties. The zombies might be weak physically, but they're resilient and keep fighting until they physically can't anymore. Slowly, one by one, the men begin to tire, and Judah watched as the zombie warriors started to overwhelm them.

"Don't kill them!" Jayden instructed the warriors as they had their hands wrapped around their necks. "Just subdue them."

The zombies nodded and slowly began to choke the men out one by one. There was nowhere to run in the tiny bubble. Judah had forced them into it. When the last soldier fell, Judah lowered the forcefield and Jayden nodded at the zombies. Their bodies seemed to transcend into another dimension as they faded into the ground.

"That was eventful," said Selena who crawled out from under the bed.

"We need to get going," Judah said.

He felt his stomach begin to twist in knots. If Gedeon sent people here to capture them, that means he can send more. He peeked his head out the front door and looked into the courtyard. "It's clear," he said.

"Where are we going?"

Judah wasn't sure of that answer. The truth was Glorianna was an unknown entity to them. Sure, they grew up there, but it was in a different life that Judah barely remembered. Everything about this place felt foreign and off. He was in the fight of his life right now, but the enemy had the home advantage.

Judah was at a loss.

"What about Elora?" Selena asked. "I didn't feel right leaving her there anyway. We can go see what she thinks. We took out the men that were coming after us. They won't think to look in the castle again."

Judah looked around at the group. "Only if everyone agrees," he said. Trust and teamwork were what got them to link their powers. He didn't want to risk them unlinking. He was unsure why Gedeon hadn't made a move, but he wanted to be ready for when he did.

And Judah felt it was coming soon.

"Okay," said Elle.

"Yeah, I'm in," said Asher.