Chapter 32: Judah

Selena sighed and looked at her phone for what seemed to be the thousandth time since they arrived at the Mayweather's residence. It was a sunny morning when they first arrived at the Mayweather's house, but suddenly the sky was looking dark and dreary. Judah knew that the sudden weather change was started by Selena, and the more annoyed she became the more intense the weather got. 

"Where the hell is Asher?" asked Selena. She threw her hands up in the air and a roar of thunder sounded in the sky. Judah felt the aggravation flowing off her as she spoke. He was annoyed too. Elora had asked them to meet an hour ago, and Asher knew how important it was to be here for their first magic lesson. 

Judah felt weird thinking about that. Magic lesson. Like it was the most normal thing that a person could do.

Judah used to dream of a life where he had excitement. Saffron wasn't where he wanted to get stuck like so many before him. He wanted to travel and see the world. Experience life. While this is certainly not the same old boring thing that his life had been accustomed to, he wasn't sure this was what he wanted either. 

"I swear when he gets here I'm going to kick his-"

"I'm here!" 

Judah turned around to see Asher running into the room. Sweat dripped down his face as he hunched over and grabbed ahold of his knees. He looked at the group apologetically and sighed. "I got distracted with something."

"Oh I'm sure you did," said Jayden with a suggestive tone. "Was this distraction around 5'5 and smoking hot?"

"That's enough," interrupted Elle.

It was the first time she had spoken since they got here. She seemed off. She usually was good for small talk. That was a benefit of her being a politician's kid, but she has been cold to him as of late. 

"Elora has waited long enough." 

Jayden nodded and closed his eyes. He held up his hands and Judah watched as Elle's living room faded around him and he was once again in the beautiful meadow that they practiced in before. The sound of the small stream relaxed Judah, but the look on Elora's face when she saw them made him tense right back up. 

"You're late," scowled Elora.

"One of us was late," said Selena with a head jerk toward Asher. "The rest of us understand the meaning of the word responsibility." Clouds started to form overhead just as they had in their world. Asher held up his hands in surrender and looked at Elora.

"I got tied up last minute and couldn't bail. I apologize for my tardiness." 

Elora raised an eyebrow at him and then looked at the rest of the group. "Sit down," Elora instructed. The group sat down in a circle on the floor and she stood in the middle. Her face soothed and Judah watched as tears welled in her eyes. "This reminds me of old times," she said softly. 

She quickly composed herself and cleared her throat. "Very well, magic," Elora looked every single one of them in the eye before she started to speak again. "Individually, you have the powers of the Dominions. That form of magic is something that is yours. There isn't anything special you have to do. It's a simple matter of will and what you want them to be." 

She held her hands out in front of her and formed a ball shape with her hands. A bright white light illuminated between her palms and she shot it off into the air. A dazzling burst of glittery starlight twinkled through the air that surrounded them. Judah looked over at Selena and a soft smile appeared on his face as he watched the excitement on his face as she observed the lights. 

"But where the real power lays is when you're united. The Dominions were never intended to be separated," she cringed upon those words and a tense silence fell over the group. "In your unity, you can channel each other's powers. When that happens, your opportunities are endless."