Chapter 30: Jayden

It wasn't until after they were all back in the Mayweather's living room that the group realized they didn't know how to contact Elora. All of the times they've come into contact with her she's appeared by herself. 

"Do we just like...call her?" asked Asher to the group. "Elora?" 

Jayden wasn't sure what he expected. Half of him wanted it to be that easy, and the other half knew that it wouldn't. He bit his lip and looked around the group. It wasn't until this moment he realized how tired he was. Using all the power they did today took a lot out of him, and he wondered if he was the only one that felt that. 

"Has anyone even checked on the school?" questioned Selena. 

Jayden pulled out his phone and opened up his Twitter. People were in disarray over the state of the gym. Pictures of the glossy wooden floor split open, random trees that sprouted out of seemingly nowhere, not to mention the scorch marks on the ground from where Ander was almost burned to death scattered across his feed. An announcement from the principal was on the official school's Twitter page. 

Due to unforeseen and confusing circumstances, it is with great disappointment that we have to cancel school while we repair the damages done to the building. We will resume classes as soon as the building can be repaired. We thank you for your patience and understanding at this time. 

"Yeah," said Jayden. "School is closed until further notice due to the damages to the building." 

Jayden's phone began to ring and he saw his father's contact appear on the screen. He answered the phone and heard the relief fall over his father's voice that his meal ticket was perfectly safe. 

"Jayden are you okay?!" his father asked. "I saw pictures of the school. It looks like a disaster hit there. Do you know anything that happened?" 

"No," stated Jayden instantly. "I'm okay, and I don't know what happened." 

"I need you home, son," said his father. "Your mother and I need to see you and then we can go train. We can restructure the whole time that you're off school to make for optimum performance when it opens back up"

Jayden verbally groaned and looked at the others in the room. "Dad, I'm dealing with something important. I'm not coming home yet." 

"Don't you dare talk back to me-"

"Bye, dad!" 

Jayden hung up the phone and gave the others an apologetic look. He quickly held down the power button and watched as the phone shut down.  He was embarrassed. His father just saw the school that his son went to in shambles and was only able to pretend for two seconds that he cared. 

"I better call my parents too," said Selena.

The rest of the group stepped out of the room to call their parents. Jayden moved over to the couch and leaned his head back against the cushion. He closed his eyes. 

Jayden knew one thing for sure. They couldn't just train anywhere. Their powers are amazing but destructive. They can't keep having random trees pop out of nowhere and random tornados that seemingly appear out of nowhere continue to happen without knowing exactly what they are doing. 

It reminded Jayden of those superhero movies where the final fight destroys the entire city. You never see the aftermath, but Jayden always imagined the city having to repair the damages every time. They couldn't avoid the fight today, but there had to be more than their powers could do other than destroy everything in their paths. 

Eventually, someone was going to catch on. 

The others filtered back in slowly after talking to their parents. Selena was the last to join them still on the phone with her mom.