Chapter 18: Selena

"Individual practice?!" Selena couldn't believe what she was hearing. So an evil bad guy was out to kill them for their power, and their response was to practice by themselves. But, what are they supposed to do if they get attacked by themselves? Or worse, they don't practice.

What the hell could everyone in the group even do?

"Chill, princess," said Asher as he held up his hands defensively. "We all voted, and this is what we settled on."

"This is a horrid idea," Selena said as the five of them left the hiding hole in the cave. "This is not going to work and the only thing it is going to do is get us killed."

"None of us have the same power," said Asher defensively. "Trying to use them in our own time is the only way that we can be sure we know what to do-"

Asher was interrupted by a loud thunderous roar in the sky. The once crystal blue day had soured and turned grey as the clouds rolled in at an impressive speed. Selena couldn't help it. She was pissed. How were they supposed to know how to fight the bad guys if none of them knew what the other was capable of?

Well, that wasn't entirely true; they've seen what Selena can do. Up until this moment, she'd been one of the only people to use her power in combat. Unfortunately, it wasn't as simple to do as they're making it out to be. Selena could still remember the embrace of the monster as it lifted the ponytail of her hair. She could remember the fear that poured into her body when she felt entirely defenseless.

It was pure luck that she managed to strike that monster with her power, and luck wasn't something that she particularly had a lot of.

"Look, Selena," said Judah stepping in trying to negotiate with her. "This is what everyone voted for. So let's give it time, see where everything falls, and then reevaluate if needed."

Selena stormed off across the field of the school, leaving the other four behind. When she made it back to the building, she saw the others had stopped midway to talk and were a reasonable distance away from the building.

Wanna see what I can do? She thought to herself with a smug expression appearing on her face. Fine.

She adjusted her gaze to the sky above her and glared at the clouds. Rain. She said in her head. Rain hard and now. She commanded the sky.

Nothing happened.

Selena bounced up and down and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath and envisioned the clouds in her eyes. She imagined them building up with water and watched in her head as the clouds began to overflow. She took another deep breath and opened her eyes. She raised her hand to the sky and flicked her wrist, and gasped.

A pouring cascade of water fell from the sky. It was harder than anything she mustered up in the week that followed their attack. She smiled gleefully as Jayden, Elle, Asher, and Judah ran from the middle of the field as fast as they could toward the patio on the building. She turned away from them triumphantly and walked into the building and down the hall.

The harsh ceramic lighting made everything in the school look grungy. Not that Selena expected anything different. It was a public school in a small Texan town. Selena thought herself lucky they had more than one working bathroom, let alone an actual curriculum to follow.

School for Selena was easy here. Her private school was leaps and bounds ahead of John Adams High School, and for the rest of the year, she expected this to be a review. Sure, she'd have impeccable grades here, but it would only hinder her whenever she ended up back at Dogwood Academy.

She turned the corner and walked into the girl's bathroom. The mirror had gunk on it, but Selena didn't let it bother her as she pulled out her lipstick and reapplied it to her face. She was in there for only a minute before Elle stormed into the bathroom. She was drenched, and a small puddle formed under her as she glared at Selena from the entrance to the bathroom.