Chapter 13: Jayden

Jayden had not been able to do anything since the beach night. It's been a week since the accident, yet, he still finds himself looking over his shoulder. Those creatures could be back at a second's notice.

    He's avoided the phone calls he's gotten from the other five. Not that his father has let him have any privileges since his "wild night out." As if it was one extensive fun experience where he wasn't taken from the beach against his will and chased by shadow monsters. As if he didn't watch someone he knew sprout trees from the ground with the wave of their hand. Or another has the sky obey what they commanded of it.

    "Jayden, I swear if you don't get your head in the game," his dad said, staring at him in anger.

    Jayden wished he could. It would be so much easier to get back to playing baseball. Sure, he was miserable, but his misery would only last until college. His father would be out of his life, and he would finally be able to be normal- go to parties, get a girlfriend, be reckless.

    "I'm trying, dad," Jayden mumbled as he once again missed the ball. The crowd booed behind him. He was never used to hearing that. Jayden was the star. No matter the struggle, no matter what it took to get there, he was the star. Two strikes and two balls, and he knew that if he didn't hit this ball, his father would never let him hear the end of it.

    He took a deep breath and tried to center his head. He straightened out his back and popped fingers as he stared the pitcher down one last time.

    His strengths are fastballs. He will probably try to throw one last time to just quickly get me out.

    Jayden positioned himself to hit the ball. He watched as the pitcher rewound his arm and let out a fastball as he had predicted. He could hear the audience hold quiet as the ball came toward him. It was as if time was moving in slow motion. He swung his bat, and with the sound of a loud crack, he took off running. He watched as the ball flew deep into the outfield until the crowd was screaming in excitement! He had made a home run.

    He darted around the bases and watched the other team furiously threw their gloves on the ground. He smiled tauntingly at them as his body crossed the last base. He threw his hands up in victory and screamed a triumphant roar as the audience cheered, but when Jayden looked at his dad, he didn't see a smile or a face of pride but a scowl. The game ended, and his team rushed out onto the field and lifted him in the air on their shoulders.

    But Jayden was far from celebrating. All he could see was his dad.

"You should have hit that the first time!" screamed his dad as they pulled into the driveway of their house

"You should have hit that the first time!" screamed his dad as they pulled into the driveway of their house. It was the conversation of the night, and Jayden had heard all of this before so many times he could probably quote it before his dad even said it. "What if there were scouts there?!"

    Jayden's mom did her best to run interference, but there was no stopping him when her husband got going.

    "Paul," she said as he got out of the car and slammed the door. "Paul!" said his mother as she got out of the car and followed him.