20.

"HE'S⎯HE'S GONNA DIE

"HE'S⎯HE'S GONNA DIE.."

---¤☆¤---

Everything had changed. But my mind was still focused, regardless of the change of plans. I still wanted to go back home. Even if Luke wasn't going to join me on my trip back to the Bronx. I needed to leave even more than before. I could feel people's stares drilling into me. I could feel the icy glares. I could hear the whispers. I could feel the tension in the air. The questions looming over me, "Did you know? Why didn't you tell? If you didn't know, why were you so close to him before he tried to kill Percy?"

And the truth was, I didn't know. I didn't fuckin' know. I just thought he was gonna miss me, I didn't know he was saying goodbye. I didn't know that he was planning on betraying anyone. Or killing Percy. Or that he had stolen the lighting bolt. I didn't know, but that didn't matter. I was already being isolated, deemed a traitor for something that wasn't even my fault. Why was I getting punished? Why not any of his other friends? Why did they all target me? Why me? What did I do wrong?

"Come on. Please pick up." I mumble, waiting for the call to pick up.

Twirling the phone cord in my hand, I could faintly hear a woman's voice in the background, she's asking him if he wants to reschedule the meeting. He faintly shouts at her to give him one second. It was probably Ms Louise from work. Chewing on my bottom lip, he clears his throat loudly, clearly smiling brightly from the sound of his voice. Shutting my eyes tightly, I know that soon, I'd be home with him. I'd not have to worry about Camp or Percy Jackson. I'd be safe. I'd be home, my true home.

"Sorry about that, kiddo." He sighs, "Louise is being⎯well, Louise."

"It's fine, Dad. So, I'll just take a bus back home." I cut in, praying he goes along.

"Are you sure? I can call your Aunt." He suggests.

"I know where the emergency keys are. Plus, I still have the money that I got at the beginning of the summer. I'll just get dropped off at the bus stop, buy a ticket and drive home." I explain, "I'll be back before you get off work. Then we can talk?"

"You got yourself a deal, kiddo. I'll bring home Sal's for dinner, then we can chat over a movie." He agrees, making me smile.

"Great! I'll see you at home, Dad." I nod, "I love you! Bye!"

Smiling brightly at his suggestion, I couldn't wait to go home, it'd be the perfect time to bring up everything that happened. He'd listen, he might not understand it, but he'd try. For me, that was enough at the moment. It was more than everyone at Camp. Hanging up the phone, I try not to smile too much, I didn't need anyone getting suspicious.

They'd assume the worst and I'd not get a chance to speak. Placing the phone back on the hook, I turn around to walk out the room, when I see Walter standing in the doorway. A blank look on his face, but his eyes were filled with fury. Oh, sweet suffering nymphs! Had he heard their entire conversation? Shit! Did he hear us?