Chapter 46

I walked with Kenna on my hip, following Thor into the overflowing infirmary. Kenna slept soundly, having restored partial balance to the planet. The rest would come naturally in its own time. Thor carried Loki in silence and the two men from the city carried in Baldr. I looked at my nearly dead husband, feeling panic and grief mix in me. We'd nearly lost everything today and to think that even after a victory we may still lose him...

Thor was directed to take Loki to a separate room and I followed. Baldr was taken to another room. I stood over Loki, watching each rise and fall of his chest and praying he would take another breath each time he exhaled.

Once Thanos' soldiers were gathered, Luk and Hel would take them and the Cell and return to Nilfheim where the Cell would be kept under lock and guard. The cleanup had begun and the search for the wounded would continue well into the night. I found a servant and asked them to make sure Rowan was safely returned to his parents.

Sitting beside Loki, I waited patiently again for news. For a week, I was once again the tragic wife of Loki.

.........

Loki's POV

Loki sighed and squinted at the light coming through the window. Loud music and cheering could be heard outside and he turned over, groaning. The noise was only making the pounding in his head worse. He opened his eyes slowly and looked down to see Ebony laying there. She was kneeling beside the bed, her head resting on her arms. He reached out to brush her hair back. She stirred and opened her eyes, blinking sleep away.

"Hey..." She whispered.

He frowned at her. His jaw worked slowly and he swallowed in a dry throat. She helped him up and held a glass of water to his lips. He drank slowly, his eyes closing at the refreshing chill in his throat. "You're still here." He croaked. She sighed tiredly

"That sounds like it's going to come dangerously close to you telling me to leave you for good." He let his silence answer that. "People keep trying to tear us apart and I'm scrambling to hold us together. And now here you are telling me to leave you."

He slumped in defeat, feeling anguish in his heart that he was only causing her more pain. But after all he had done, how could he be so selfish as to demand she stay with him? He had brought nothing but pain and fear and destruction. He was better off leaving Asgard, exiling himself if Odin wouldn't do it.

"It's over, Loki." She said wearily. She wrapped him in her arms and rested her cheek on his head. "It's over and we can start again and make this work the way it was supposed to. Just stop trying to get rid of me."

He sighed heavily.

"For better or worse, right?" She said.

"Worse for you." He muttered. "But I'm a selfish bastard and you're not going anywhere. Where you ever got the notion that I was trying to send you away, I don't know. Perhaps you're the one whose mind was tampered with." She laughed weakly. "Kenna?" He asked.

Ebony sighed and pulled away. "She's been worried sick over everyone. She barely sleeps. Something happened. I don't know...What did she do to Thanos?"

"The same thing she tried to do to Sigyn. I'd locked it away. I've unlocked it now."

"What did you say? In Latin?"

"A key to unlock it. A password of sorts. Sometimes what can be accomplished with the hands can also be done verbally."

"Oh.... Well... Maybe it scared her. She's having nightmares. She's afraid to sleep. Luk and Hel finally left and took the Cell with them and that helped but..." Ebony shrugged.