Fix You (Loki Romance)

Part 1: Broken

I sat atop a cold examination table, my hand resting over my belly. I had just begun to show, though it wasn't very noticeable yet. I wished I was excited about having a baby. But I had never been ready for something this huge and with everything that was going on, I wasn't sure I could handle it. Besides, why be excited if the moment he was born Odin would take him away? I had to be realistic about this. At this point, I was just the delivery vehicle. My child's life would play out without me. And more than likely, without Loki. I wasn't important in the grand scheme of things.

The door opened to allow in Eir, Odin, and Frigga. Important or not, they had to keep me healthy. Apparently Eir had brought us all in to see how. Frigga immediately came to my side, motherly and kind as always. I smiled bleakly. Odin stayed by the door. Eir looked between us.

"We have all come to understand that Ebony cannot safely bear this child without necessary changes to her physicality." We all nodded. "Then I will get to the point. As a human, Ebony, you will die in childbirth."

I felt that clunk into the pit of my stomach. Swallowed in a tight throat, I nodded.

"Such an occurrence jeopardizes the peace Odin is trying to make with Loki and the health of the child. To prevent that, we must do something I have only heard of. And to do it, I will need Loki's assistance." She took a deep breath. Odin scowled but waited for her to explain. "Ebony must be systematically mutated until hers and the child's genes can accept an Asgardian physiology."

"How?" I asked.

"It would take small treatments over the course of a few months. It could be done at once but it would be too dangerous. We are not aiming to make you into a Midgardian and Asgardian hybrid. We need only to make you stronger so you can withstand the birth. Because your child's genes are currently so vulnerable, they will be a hybrid. You however, would be-"

"Superhuman but still human." I nodded.

"Yes."

I rubbed my bump and thought about it. "Is it dangerous?" She grimaced. Butterflies stirred and I sat up straighter. "Eir?"

"Yes. It could kill you. Which is why I will be here. I cannot do this myself. Loki can. He is more than capable of this level of detail. I will be your life support. It is too dangerous otherwise. During the procedure, my priority will be you. I am sure you can understand that."

I started to nod. This baby would never be accepted anywhere. If it were to be stillborn, it would almost be a mercy. Meanwhile, I still had a life to live back home. If I alone survived, Odin would have less of a problem and he would still deport me. But that wasn't fair to me. I had lived and loved and been loved. This baby deserved a chance. I shook my head instead.

"No. Save the baby if something goes wrong."

Eir sighed. She rubbed her temples. "I already explained why your death would be very bad."

"If this baby dies, Loki will go ballistic." I waved it away. "I can prepare him to lose me. Save the baby. I know you can create an artificial um... Incubation?"

Eir nodded. "A womb that will suffice for a few months, yes, I have one ready."

"No." Odin interjected. We turned to him. "None of this will happen. I cannot allow such an abomination to be created, much less two. Ebony will have to suffer through the childbirth on her own strength. If she dies, that is a pity. But she has chosen this path. Let it play out. I will not release Loki for something so needless.

I glared at him. "I'm right here. And screw you too." I looked at Eir. "Let's do it."

Odin stepped closer to me. I held up a hand. "Let's not forget, I'm the only reason Asgard has a chance to rebuild what Loki destroyed without having to worry about his meddling. You're already taking my baby away. You're going to make sure he survives."